Of Peregrines and Harriers - 18 Aug 2012
As I rode the North Causeway from Siegler Rd. this morning at 7 am I looked for the Whimbrel that Andrew Sturgess reported yesterday. I did not see it. I then looked for other shorebirds, like Wilson's Snipe, or Black-bellied Plovers. I did not see them, either. A single Lesser Yellowlegs was the only shorebird seen along the Huron River shoreline before I reached the west end of the Vermet Unit.
![]() |
| drake Wood Duck and female Blue-winged Teal |
Riding the Banana Unit northward along the east side of the Vermet Unit yielded only a few shorebirds, including a single Baird's Sandpiper that was foraging among Least Sandpipers and a Pectoral Sandpiper. Darn Killdeers tended to flush everything ahead of me as I walked the bike.
I caught up with the OAS group, and talked briefly with Jim Fowler, Tex Wells, Ray Stocking, Bob and Judy Setzer, Joan Tisdale, and a few others, before trying to get some digiscoped images of the Peregrine.
These leg bands ID'd her as a 2012 female juvie who was born on May 1 at the BP Plant in Whiting Lake County, Indiana; she was banded on May 21. Her father is Hughes, banded black/green E/09, from the Midwest Generation nest, Waukegan, Cook County, Illinois. Her mother is Nancy, banded black/green 5/*4, born in 2002 at the Midwest Generation nest, Waukegan, Cook County, Illinois. Thanks to Mark Wloch and Steve Forstner for the link to the Midwest Peregrine Database.
Just as I was about to capture a video of the falcon, it left its perch and flew across the river toward a screaming Ring-billed Gull that was frantically trying to get away. The falcon buzzed the gull, but continued on toward the islands near the Pt. Mouillee HQ.
Pte. Mouillee SGA (permit required Sep 1-Dec 15), Monroe, Michigan, US
Aug 18, 2012 7:00 AM - 11:00 AM
Protocol: Traveling
11.0 mile(s)
Checklist Comments: This Peregrine would be refound in Costa Rica by Pablo Camacho in late December!
16 species
Wood Duck (Aix sponsa) 24
Sora (Porzana carolina) 1 Whinnying sora in the Long Pond a bit of surprise for August! Heard only.
American Avocet (Recurvirostra americana) 3 NE corner of Vermet Unit. On a small mudflat w/ Great Blue Heron and several Caspian Terns and Mallard.
Killdeer (Charadrius vociferus) 6
Lesser Yellowlegs (Tringa flavipes) 4
Stilt Sandpiper (Calidris himantopus) 6
Baird's Sandpiper (Calidris bairdii) 1
Least Sandpiper (Calidris minutilla) 6
Pectoral Sandpiper (Calidris melanotos) 5
Caspian Tern (Hydroprogne caspia) 2
Great Egret (Ardea alba) 30
Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias) 1
Northern Harrier (Circus hudsonius) 3
Peregrine Falcon (Falco peregrinus) 1 As it perched, posed and preened I fired away from as close as 50'. At one point it rose up, and exposed leg bands on it feet. I managed to capture photos of the bands, and could make out the codes: Black "78" over Red "D" on the left leg, and a magenta/purple band on the right leg. These leg bands ID'd her as a 2012 female juvie who was born on May 1 at the BP Plant in Whiting Lake County, Indiana; she was banded on May 21. Her father is Hughes, banded black/green E/09, from the Midwest Generation nest, Waukegan, Cook County, Illinois. Her mother is Nancy, banded black/green 5/*4, born in 2002 at the Midwest Generation nest, Waukegan, Cook County, Illinois. Thanks to Mark Wloch and Steve Forstner for the link to the Midwest Peregrine Database.
This bird would be later found in Costa Rica by Pablo Camacho in late December 2012!
Bobolink (Dolichonyx oryzivorus) 6
Common Yellowthroat (Geothlypis trichas) 4
View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S1
This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)



























Hi Jerry, Thank you for having Mr. Hopkins forward your sitings of the Peregrine from Indiana. I am from Indianapolis and found this to be of great interest! What a top notch blog this is!!
ReplyDeleteJerry, I was on that OAS field trip at Pte. Mouillee too -- I wish I'd been able to talk to you. Thanks for including the info you obtained about the young Peregrine -- it's fun to know those details about her! ~Kim
ReplyDelete