Biggest Week Epilogue - 15 May 2013
I left the house shortly after 4 am and got to the parking lot at Magee Marsh shortly before 5:30 am. Storms were supposed to be moving through the area this morning, so lightning a few short downpours greeted my arrival. But the rains let up, so I grabbed the scope and camera and headed onto the boardwalk. A Common Nighthawk was circling over the parking lot. Warblers were starting to chatter overhead: Black-and-White, Black-throated Blue, and Black-throated Green. A Yellow-billed Cuckoo was calling in the trees, but it was still too dark to see them.
House Wrens were singing nearby, and I was able to get a few photos using the Better Beamer and SB-800 on the Nikon D7100. Unfortunately, the camera is limited to 1/250s shutter speeds, and the flash only captured a few frames before firing blanks for several more. So, I ended up losing more than half of my frames to severely-underexposed captures.
As skies brightened the warblers started to appear. A flock of Myrtle Warblers were working the shoreline next to the pond. Among them were a Magnolia Warbler and several Palm Warblers. A Northern Waterthrush was singing nearby, and for a short moment I thought I was hearing a Connecticut Warbler.
I decided to head back to work rather than fight the crowds.
Frustrations would occur when I drove by the East Beach and notice a dozen cars. I almost walked out there, but decided to drive on. When I got to work I found the Tweet indicating that the female Kirtland's Warbler was refound about 10 minutes after I drove by. Then a Mississippi Kite was observed soaring over the BSBO HQ a few minutes later. Within the hour two more Kirtland's Warblers would be spotted (a juvenile male and adult male), so I was less than thrilled (for myself).
But that is how it works sometimes. Shake it off, and look forward to next year... Rats.
Magee Marsh--Boardwalk, Lucas, Ohio, US
May 15, 2013 6:00 AM - 10:00 AM
Protocol: Traveling
4.0 mile(s)
Checklist Comments: Storms upon arrival.
21 species
Yellow-billed Cuckoo (Coccyzus americanus) 1
Common Nighthawk (Chordeiles minor) 1
Warbling Vireo (Vireo gilvus) 4
House Wren (Troglodytes aedon) 6
Carolina Wren (Thryothorus ludovicianus) 2
Gray Catbird (Dumetella carolinensis) 2
Gray-cheeked Thrush (Catharus minimus) 1
Swainson's Thrush (Catharus ustulatus) 5
Lincoln's Sparrow (Melospiza lincolnii) 2
Northern Waterthrush (Parkesia noveboracensis) 1
Tennessee Warbler (Leiothlypis peregrina) 1
Mourning Warbler (Geothlypis philadelphia) 2
American Redstart (Setophaga ruticilla) 2
Northern Parula (Setophaga americana) 2
Magnolia Warbler (Setophaga magnolia) 1
Yellow Warbler (Setophaga petechia) 6
Blackpoll Warbler (Setophaga striata) 1
Black-throated Blue Warbler (Setophaga caerulescens) 4
Palm Warbler (Setophaga palmarum) 4
Yellow-rumped Warbler (Setophaga coronata) 6
Canada Warbler (Cardellina canadensis) 1
View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S1 00525312
This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)
May 15, 2013 6:00 AM - 10:00 AM
Protocol: Traveling
4.0 mile(s)
Checklist Comments: Storms upon arrival.
21 species
Yellow-billed Cuckoo (Coccyzus americanus) 1
Common Nighthawk (Chordeiles minor) 1
Warbling Vireo (Vireo gilvus) 4
House Wren (Troglodytes aedon) 6
Carolina Wren (Thryothorus ludovicianus) 2
Gray Catbird (Dumetella carolinensis) 2
Gray-cheeked Thrush (Catharus minimus) 1
Swainson's Thrush (Catharus ustulatus) 5
Lincoln's Sparrow (Melospiza lincolnii) 2
Northern Waterthrush (Parkesia noveboracensis) 1
Tennessee Warbler (Leiothlypis peregrina) 1
Mourning Warbler (Geothlypis philadelphia) 2
American Redstart (Setophaga ruticilla) 2
Northern Parula (Setophaga americana) 2
Magnolia Warbler (Setophaga magnolia) 1
Yellow Warbler (Setophaga petechia) 6
Blackpoll Warbler (Setophaga striata) 1
Black-throated Blue Warbler (Setophaga caerulescens) 4
Palm Warbler (Setophaga palmarum) 4
Yellow-rumped Warbler (Setophaga coronata) 6
Canada Warbler (Cardellina canadensis) 1
View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S1
This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)




















The first guy is really cool.
ReplyDelete