Greater White-fronted Geese - 29 Nov 2013


With thanks to Scott Jennex for finding these birds, I was able to relocate 15 Greater White-fronted Geese this morning in one of the sewage lagoons in Morencie, MI (Lenawee Co.).  They were among another 200 or so Canada Geese on the iced-over ponds in the NW corner of the town along Sims Hwy.


I tried digiscoping the birds from about 250' away through the fence surrounding the lagoon, but they were severely side-lit. I walked around to the south end of the lagoon where I could see the birds if I stood on tip-toes, but they were too far away to photograph, so I settled for the images I took from Sims Hwy, which separated the two lagoons.





Morenci Sewage Ponds, Lenawee, Michigan, US
Nov 29, 2013 9:00 AM - 9:45 AM
Protocol: Traveling
1.0 mile(s)
Checklist Comments:     Originally found by Scott Jennex.
2 species

Greater White-fronted Goose (Anser albifrons)  15     Large geese w coloration similar to Canada Goose but w/ white face patch, orange bill and black 'speckle' belly. Among 200 Canada Goose. Digiscoped.
Canada Goose (Branta canadensis)  200

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S100926951

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)