Recent Yard Birds - 09 Dec 2013
![]() |
| Cooper's Hawk |
Here in Wyandotte I've had a couple of nice yard birds. A few weeks ago I was treated to a pair of Carolina Wrens that made a first appearance in the back yard. They were followed by a pair of White-breasted Nuthatches and several pair of Black-capped Chickadees. An adult Sharp-shinned Hawk made an early morning perch in the maple tree in the back of the yard last Sunday morning. Three Dark-eyed Juncos continue to grace the feeders late in the afternoon. And just yesterday I had a nice Red-bellied Woodpecker make a brief appearance on the telephone pole in the alley.
I had just returned from Willow Run Airport to see the Snowy Owl when three Blue Jays made a visit to the water fountain in the yard. One bird posed on the branch of the maple tree and stayed long enough for me to photograph it through the back window. The open garage made for a nice backdrop.
Dec 9, 2013 12:00 PM - 12:30 PM
Protocol: Stationary
Checklist Comments: Yard survey
8 species
Sharp-shinned Hawk (Accipiter striatus) 1
Cooper's Hawk (Accipiter cooperii) 1
Red-bellied Woodpecker (Melanerpes carolinus) 1
Blue Jay (Cyanocitta cristata) 3
Black-capped Chickadee (Poecile atricapillus) 2
White-breasted Nuthatch (Sitta carolinensis) 2
Carolina Wren (Thryothorus ludovicianus) 2
Dark-eyed Junco (Junco hyemalis) 3
View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S1
This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)












Maybe the Carolina Wrens will stick around for the winter. Back in '08 I had one from January to April then only one sighting until this past October.
ReplyDelete