Red-tails and Snowy Owl! - 08 Dec 2013
I took a ride out to the Visteon / Grace Lake complex on Tyler Rd. and Ecorse Rd. in Wayne Co. to look for gulls. I was not disappointed. With temperatures in the single digits (wind chill) and a slight wind I was cold. But I managed to keep the scope on a half-dozen Lesser Black-backed Gulls and a pair of first winter Glaucous Gulls. We did not relocate any other gulls, especially a possible Thayer's Gull that Patrick Jakel had reported a day earlier.
Grace Lake (Visteon Pond), Wayne, Michigan, US
Dec 8, 2013 9:00 AM - 9:30 AM
Protocol: Stationary
Checklist Comments: Cold, single-digits
3 species
Ring-billed Gull (Larus delawarensis) 250
Glaucous Gull (Larus hyperboreus) 2
Lesser Black-backed Gull (Larus fuscus) 9
View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S1 00927695
This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)
Dec 8, 2013 9:00 AM - 9:30 AM
Protocol: Stationary
Checklist Comments: Cold, single-digits
3 species
Ring-billed Gull (Larus delawarensis) 250
Glaucous Gull (Larus hyperboreus) 2
Lesser Black-backed Gull (Larus fuscus) 9
View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S1
This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)
My first couple of passes along the Airport Service Dr. failed to reveal any Snowy Owls. I did spot a nice adult Red-tailed Hawk and paused just long enough to photograph it in a tree next to the road.
While driving along Ecorse Rd. near the west side of the airport I spotted another Red-tailed Hawk on a fence. As it took off I noticed that it had retained three juvenal tail feathers on either side of the central red tail feathers. Interestingly enough, I would refind this bird (or another just like it) about a half hour later on the other side of the airport.
According to Crossley (2013) "tail molt begins w/ the central and outer feathers w/ interior tail feathers replaced later". He appears to be correct...
I decided to make one last pass along the service drive. This time I spotted the Snowy Owl in the middle of the airport complex sitting on a signpost next to a runway. The bird was about 150 yds. away, so all I could do was enjoy distant looks through the binoculars. Happy, I headed for home!
Reference:
Crossley, R., The Crossley ID Guide to Raptors, 2013, Princeton University Press.
Willow Run Airport (restricted access), Wayne, Michigan, US
Dec 8, 2013 9:30 AM - 10:30 AM
Protocol: Traveling
5.0 mile(s)
2 species
Red-tailed Hawk (Buteo jamaicensis) 1
Snowy Owl (Bubo scandiacus) 1
View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S1 00927515
This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)
Dec 8, 2013 9:30 AM - 10:30 AM
Protocol: Traveling
5.0 mile(s)
2 species
Red-tailed Hawk (Buteo jamaicensis) 1
Snowy Owl (Bubo scandiacus) 1
View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S1
This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)







Comments
Post a Comment
Please leave a comment. I will try to respond ASAP.