Rough-legged Hawk - 13 Dec 2013
I gassed up and got a room at the Best Western, and decided to try one more quick drive down Riverside between the hours of 3 - 5 pm. I managed to find a Ruffed Grouse at 16-Mile Rd. and a Northern Shrike at 8-Mile and Lower Hay Lake Rd., and that was it. Darkness was setting in and it was time to call it a night.
US-MI-Sault Ste. Marie-8022 S Lower Hay Lake Rd, Chippewa, Michigan, US
Dec 12, 2013 4:38 PM - 5:38 PM
Protocol: Traveling
19.999 mile(s)
Checklist Comments: <br />Submitted from BirdLog NA for iOS, version 1.7.1
4 species
Ruffed Grouse (Bonasa umbellus) 1
Bald Eagle (Haliaeetus leucocephalus) 1
Rough-legged Hawk (Buteo lagopus) 1
Northern Shrike (Lanius borealis) 1 High in tree
View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S1 5947141
This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)
Dec 12, 2013 4:38 PM - 5:38 PM
Protocol: Traveling
19.999 mile(s)
Checklist Comments: <br />Submitted from BirdLog NA for iOS, version 1.7.1
4 species
Ruffed Grouse (Bonasa umbellus) 1
Bald Eagle (Haliaeetus leucocephalus) 1
Rough-legged Hawk (Buteo lagopus) 1
Northern Shrike (Lanius borealis) 1 High in tree
View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S1
This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)
I had planned to drive to Whitefish Point in the morning, but forecasts called for 8" of snow and single-digit temperatures overnight, so I decided to head back south along the east side of the State. Crossing the bridge shortly before 8 am I headed south on US-23 from Cheboygan toward Alpena and Tawass City. Lake Huron was mostly open from Alpena northward, but freezing quickly. I scanned several roadside parks looking for ducks and Snowy Owls, but without luck.
Birdsong Bay (formally Squaw Bay), Alpena, Michigan, US
Dec 13, 2013 11:00 AM - 11:30 AM
Protocol: Traveling
3.0 mile(s)
1 species
Rough-legged Hawk (Buteo lagopus) 1
View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S1 63188804
This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)
Dec 13, 2013 11:00 AM - 11:30 AM
Protocol: Traveling
3.0 mile(s)
1 species
Rough-legged Hawk (Buteo lagopus) 1
View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S1
This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)
I stopped at Tawas State Park and made a quick drive through. A Bald Eagle was the only notable bird seen.
Tawas Point SP, Iosco, Michigan, US
Dec 13, 2013 1:00 PM - 1:20 PM
Protocol: Traveling
1.0 mile(s)
1 species
Bald Eagle (Haliaeetus leucocephalus) 1
View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S1 63188965
This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)
Next stop was Shiawassee National Wildlife Refuge. I managed to find a dark-phased Rough-legged Hawk at the entrance to the wildlife driving tour, but that was it. Hundreds of Canada Geese were in the fields but no Snow Geese or Greater White-fronted Geese could be found.
Dec 13, 2013 1:00 PM - 1:20 PM
Protocol: Traveling
1.0 mile(s)
1 species
Bald Eagle (Haliaeetus leucocephalus) 1
View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S1
This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)
Next stop was Shiawassee National Wildlife Refuge. I managed to find a dark-phased Rough-legged Hawk at the entrance to the wildlife driving tour, but that was it. Hundreds of Canada Geese were in the fields but no Snow Geese or Greater White-fronted Geese could be found.
Shiawassee NWR--Ferguson Bayou Trail, Saginaw, Michigan, US
Dec 13, 2013 2:30 PM - 2:50 PM
Protocol: Traveling
1.0 mile(s)
2 species
Canada Goose (Branta canadensis) 150
Rough-legged Hawk (Buteo lagopus) 1
View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S1 63189154
This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)
Dec 13, 2013 2:30 PM - 2:50 PM
Protocol: Traveling
1.0 mile(s)
2 species
Canada Goose (Branta canadensis) 150
Rough-legged Hawk (Buteo lagopus) 1
View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S1
This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)









Comments
Post a Comment
Please leave a comment. I will try to respond ASAP.