All Gone! - 22 Feb 2014


I drove up to Port Huron to see the (remaining) 25,000 Long-tailed Ducks that were reported there yesterday.  When I arrived I found 6. And these birds were flying toward Lake Huron, which is where the rest of the flock has (presumed) gone. Winds were blowing, and there was a chop on the river. Only ice flows were along the Canadian side. With my TC14II Teleconverter in for repairs I was left shooting the Nikon D7100 w/ a 'naked' 300/2.8 VRII.  At f/5.6 and ISO 400 I was shooting 1/8000s in the afternoon sun.


My good buddy Charles Owens was up there, as well (I missed him), and posted some gorgeous shots of a Red-breasted Merganser (drake) and Long-tailed Duck on Facebook. I'm wondering if these are the same birds?  The only two ducks on the river, and I was able to photograph from behind the Municipal Building.

Zebra mussels and pending stomach ache



I drove along the river as far south as Marine City and failed to see any more ducks.  I did spot a flock of 6 Snow Buntings alongside the road. A nice treat.  I then dodged pot holes the rest of the way home.

Lighthouse Park, St. Clair, Michigan, US
Feb 22, 2014 1:00 PM - 2:20 PM
Protocol: Traveling
0.5 mile(s)
Checklist Comments:     I drove up to Port Huron to see the (remaining) 25,000 Long-tailed Ducks that were reported there yesterday.  When I arrived I found 6. And these birds were flying toward Lake Huron, which is where the rest of the flock has (presumed) gone. Winds were blowing, and there was a chop on the river. Only ice flows were along the Canadian side.
3 species

Redhead (Aythya americana)  1
Long-tailed Duck (Clangula hyemalis)  6
Red-breasted Merganser (Mergus serrator)  1

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S101221810

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)