Good Birders Wear White? - 03 Feb 2014
With only slight deference to the incomparable Julie Craves, sometimes good birders DO wear white. Or lucky ones...
I've been having visibility issues this winter with my all-black birding attire: black jacket, gloves, hat, tripod and (Nikon) camera equipment. Whenever I've approached the railing along the Detroit River here in Wyandotte's John Dingell Park, the ducks waste no time high-tailing it out of the vicinity. So, today I asked my dear friend Patricia Rydzewski if our colleagues in Chemical Engineering had any white Tyvek® Suits laying around. She was able to find me a pair.
With the sun shining and temperatures in the teens it actually felt fairly comfortable this afternoon as I arrived at the park after work. I pulled on the white coveralls and wondered if looking like a snowman might help my approachability index. As I approached the rail a pair of Canvasback that were swimming next to shore saw me, but did not flee for their lives! I stood in the corner at the south end of the park and actually felt that the ducks in the vicinity were (for the most part) ignoring me. That's when I saw one of the four Horned Grebes that were reported on Saturday by Patricia herself.
The small grebe was diving near shore just a few feet away and completely oblivious to my presence. I had the scope w/ me, and decided I'd rather digiscope the bird than photograph it w/ the D7100 and 300/2.8 VRII combo. It stayed long enough for me do both!
I spent the next 40 minutes digicoping both the grebe and the scoter, and getting ridiculously close looks (and photos). I could make out the blue eyes of the scoter next to its white tear-drop eye crescent. Only after the scoter drifted off far enough near Mud Island did I decide to head home (782 digiscoped images later).
John D. Dingell Park, Wayne, Michigan, US
Feb 3, 2014 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM
Protocol: Stationary
6 species
Canada Goose (Branta canadensis) 24
Canvasback (Aythya valisineria) 2
White-winged Scoter (Melanitta deglandi) 1
Red-breasted Merganser (Mergus serrator) 6
Horned Grebe (Podiceps auritus) 1
Bald Eagle (Haliaeetus leucocephalus) 1
View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S1 01216665
This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)
Feb 3, 2014 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM
Protocol: Stationary
6 species
Canada Goose (Branta canadensis) 24
Canvasback (Aythya valisineria) 2
White-winged Scoter (Melanitta deglandi) 1
Red-breasted Merganser (Mergus serrator) 6
Horned Grebe (Podiceps auritus) 1
Bald Eagle (Haliaeetus leucocephalus) 1
View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S1
This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)

























For a few moments I wondered why your last two photos were Audubon paintings. :-)
ReplyDeleteI love your work. Thanks for sharing it.