Welcome February! - 01 Feb 2014
I struck paydirt at intersection of the Bloody Run and Long Pond Units when a young female Snowy Owl was quietly perched on a signpost next to the dike separating the two units. I quietly approached to within 200' of the bird and digiscoped some photos through the blinding snow.
The bird was content with my presence while I took a two-minute video through the Nikon V1, but suddenly flushed when a young Golden Retriever (Eli) bounded up the trail behind me (followed by his owner).
The Snowy Owl flew down the dike and landed on a another post about 100 yds. away.
I continued on to the Vermet Unit, then turned back when I was unable to see any other Snowy Owls on the dike or in the Units. I stopped to take some long-distance pics of the Snowy Owl, still on its post. I did not want to disturb it so I headed back to the car.
Pte. Mouillee SGA (permit required Sep 1-Dec 15), Monroe, Michigan, US
Feb 1, 2014 8:00 AM - 10:00 AM
Protocol: Traveling
3.0 mile(s)
1 species
Snowy Owl (Bubo scandiacus) 1
View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S1 01168172
This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)
Feb 1, 2014 8:00 AM - 10:00 AM
Protocol: Traveling
3.0 mile(s)
1 species
Snowy Owl (Bubo scandiacus) 1
View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S1
This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)









That sounds like a blissful wonderful day spent out in our fabulous winter wonderland. If you dress well, the snow and cold is invigorating (unless you are a bird who can't go inside for some hot chocolate. Glad you had a great day getting exercise and taking some beautiful photographs to share with the rest of us.
ReplyDelete