St. John's National Park - 05 Mar 2014
I got off the boat just after 8 and headed to the end of the pier where a ferry boat 'Island Girl' took us on a 45 min boat ride to the isle of St John's. I signed up to see the island on my own, while Robin stayed aboard the cruise ship. I planned to hike the National Park when I got there, hoping to get better pics of the resident hummingbirds.
![]() |
| female Lesser Antillean Bullfinch |
Virgin Islands National Park, Saint John, VI
Mar 5, 2014 11:00 AM - 12:30 PM
Protocol: Traveling
3.0 mile(s)
Checklist Comments: Walking tour
12 species
Zenaida Dove (Zenaida aurita) 2
Green-throated Carib (Eulampis holosericeus) 3
Royal Tern (Thalasseus maximus) 1
Brown Booby (Sula leucogaster) 12
Brown Pelican (Pelecanus occidentalis) 1
Yellow-crowned Night Heron (Nyctanassa violacea) 1
Red-tailed Hawk (Buteo jamaicensis) 1
Peregrine Falcon (Falco peregrinus) 1
Pearly-eyed Thrasher (Margarops fuscatus) 1
Prairie Warbler (Setophaga discolor) 1
Bananaquit (Coereba flaveola) 12
Lesser Antillean Bullfinch (Loxigilla noctis) 2
View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S1 01229698
This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)
Mar 5, 2014 11:00 AM - 12:30 PM
Protocol: Traveling
3.0 mile(s)
Checklist Comments: Walking tour
12 species
Zenaida Dove (Zenaida aurita) 2
Green-throated Carib (Eulampis holosericeus) 3
Royal Tern (Thalasseus maximus) 1
Brown Booby (Sula leucogaster) 12
Brown Pelican (Pelecanus occidentalis) 1
Yellow-crowned Night Heron (Nyctanassa violacea) 1
Red-tailed Hawk (Buteo jamaicensis) 1
Peregrine Falcon (Falco peregrinus) 1
Pearly-eyed Thrasher (Margarops fuscatus) 1
Prairie Warbler (Setophaga discolor) 1
Bananaquit (Coereba flaveola) 12
Lesser Antillean Bullfinch (Loxigilla noctis) 2
View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S1
This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)
I returned to the ship and found Robin in the Garden Cafe and joined her for lunch, then went for a shower to clean up. We bought tickets for the Illusionarium Show this evening, and relaxed the afternoon away in the spa (complete with hot tub, wave pool and saunas). Had the place to ourselves.
Shortly after 4:30 pm the ship headed back out to sea for our last stop on Friday in the Bahamas. We ate a small dinner in the Garden Cafe and then walked the deck along the outside of the ship. As we strolled we were beset by a flock of 16 Brown Boobies that decided to dive bomb the waters next to the ship. The birds flew close enough to see what they were thinking, and you could almost reach out and touch them! And yes, the camera was back in the cabin.
After our stroll we headed back and I grabbed the camera and flash. Running back to Deck 7 I found only one single bird still flying next to the ship. Try as I might it was impossible to get sharp photos of the bird; the flash sync is only 1/250s and it was too dark to shoot without so the bird was perfectly illuminated but blurry. I guess I have to file this moment under the fond memory sans photos category. I then ran to the other side of the ship just in time to see three porpoises jumping next to the ship. Again, no pics possible.
With the next day at sea I would could expect no more photos. Pelagic birds were absent, and as we pulled into port in Miami on Saturday morning it was time to pack up and head home. Great trip!
NCL Getaway - wonderful ship.
After our stroll we headed back and I grabbed the camera and flash. Running back to Deck 7 I found only one single bird still flying next to the ship. Try as I might it was impossible to get sharp photos of the bird; the flash sync is only 1/250s and it was too dark to shoot without so the bird was perfectly illuminated but blurry. I guess I have to file this moment under the fond memory sans photos category. I then ran to the other side of the ship just in time to see three porpoises jumping next to the ship. Again, no pics possible.
With the next day at sea I would could expect no more photos. Pelagic birds were absent, and as we pulled into port in Miami on Saturday morning it was time to pack up and head home. Great trip!
NCL Getaway - wonderful ship.

































Comments
Post a Comment
Please leave a comment. I will try to respond ASAP.