Dickcissel! - 21 Jun 2014


I first saw a Dickcissel on 14 Jun 2014 along Haggerman Rd. in n. Monroe Co.. The bird was singing along the fence surrounding the antennae farm but flew before I could get any pics. It was also morning, so lighting was horrible.  I had to settle for pics of the resident Bobolinks and Savannah Sparrows.  These were taken w/ the Nikon 1 V1 attached to my 300/2.8 VRII lens + TC-17EII via the FT1 adapter for an effective focal length (EFL = 1371mm).




This evening I took a swing by the fence and saw a pair of Dickcissels singing on the fence.  This time lighting was better, so I used the same rig to photograph the birds from the car.  I really like this combo as the 300/2.8 VRII gives a sharp image edge-to-edge.  When I use the V1 to digiscope the eyepiece produces images that are only sharp in the center and fuzzy along the edges.  Magnification is lower, but resolution is really good!  The top image is un-cropped, while the remaining pics are cropped. I also cloned out the branches that were distracting to me.






Antenna Farm, Monroe, Michigan, US
Jun 21, 2014 6:00 PM - 6:30 PM
Protocol: Traveling
1.0 mile(s)
3 species

Savannah Sparrow (Passerculus sandwichensis)  4
Bobolink (Dolichonyx oryzivorus)  2
Dickcissel (Spiza americana)  1

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S101615762

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)