Red Knots and Pelicans - 31 May 2014


After a gorgeous, sunny day here in SE Michigan I took a late-afternoon run down to Pt. Mouillee. A stiff wind from the east greeted me, so I had to lose the hat and don a second shirt as I rode the Middle Causeway toward the Banana Unit. A fly-by Sandhill Crane was a nice treat.


A pair of Snowy Egrets and a Whimbrel were nice finds in the west edge of the Humphries Unit just out from the Pump house. Otherwise the wind was whipping up the Red-winged Blackbirds along the Humphries and Long Pond Units.  I could not relocate the Tricolored Heron along the south shore of the Vermet Unit.





















When I arrived at Cell 3 I was greeted by significantly fewer shorebirds than in the past few weeks. Semipalmated Sandpipers now outnumbered Dunlin, whose numbers were fast dwindling.  A pair of American White Pelicans were quietly sitting at the edge of the mud flats that were occupied by several dozen Caspian and Forster's Terns, a pair of Black Terns (nice), and a few Bonaparte's Gulls.





A Dunlin flew in from the shoreline and landed a few feet away, giving me a few flight shots before it landed.


A female Yellow-headed Blackbird appeared nearby and foraged along the mudflat in front of me.  I digiscoped it from about 30' away. Farther out were another 6 of a dozen Ruddy Turnstones that were still in the area.



I left the bike and walked down to the SW corner of Cell 3 where I found 3 White-rumped Sandpipers foraging among a dozen Semipalms.


A scope scan of the mudflat peninsula yielded 4 Red Knots! and another Whimbrel.  I would also see three Sanderlings.


As I headed back toward the bike the entire flock of terns, gulls and shorebirds lifted off the mud and swirled around for several minutes. I could not see why (no Peregrine in view). But I did count 6 Black Terns among the flock, so that was a nice bonus.



Just before reaching the Middle Causeway I enjoyed close looks at a Forster's Tern riding the wind next to the dike. Its kiting allowed me to grab several flight shots.


Pte. Mouillee SGA (permit required Sep 1-Dec 15), Monroe, Michigan, US
May 31, 2014 5:00 PM - 7:30 PM
Protocol: Traveling
9.0 mile(s)
Checklist Comments:     Very Windy and cool.
17 species

Sandhill Crane (Antigone canadensis)  1
Whimbrel (Numenius phaeopus)  2
Ruddy Turnstone (Arenaria interpres)  12
Red Knot (Calidris canutus)  4     SW corner of Cell 3; 4 plump shorebirds w/ stiff straight bills and red wash on chest
Sanderling (Calidris alba)  3
Dunlin (Calidris alpina)  6
White-rumped Sandpiper (Calidris fuscicollis)  3
Semipalmated Sandpiper (Calidris pusilla)  12
Bonaparte's Gull (Chroicocephalus philadelphia)  4
Caspian Tern (Hydroprogne caspia)  12
Black Tern (Chlidonias niger)  6
Forster's Tern (Sterna forsteri)  6
American White Pelican (Pelecanus erythrorhynchos)  2
Snowy Egret (Egretta thula)  2     West edge of the Humphries Unit. Small white egrets w/ black bills and yellow feet standing among larger Great Egrets.
Great Egret (Ardea alba)  6
Yellow-headed Blackbird (Xanthocephalus xanthocephalus)  1
Red-winged Blackbird (Agelaius phoeniceus)  24

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S101610140

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)