Red-necked Phalaropes - 14 Sep 2018


Robin and I drove down to Howard Marsh, OH this morning. Skies were cloudy, and it was foggy. We drove over to Ottawa National Wildlife Refuge first, hoping the wildlife drive was open (it was not). So we headed back toward Howard Marsh to take a short walk.



As we passed the "Stilt Pond" (as I call it) we spotted a pair of Red-necked Phalaropes foraging relatively close to shore. I jumped out of the car to get a few digiscoped images for record. Lighting and distance made for less-than optimal shooting.


I then took a short walk around the boardwalk pond but only managed to scare away the dozen or so young Common Gallinules that were swimming near shore. A pair of migrating Monarch Butterflies landed on the trail ahead of me, so I took a picture...


Howard Marsh Metropark, Lucas, Ohio, US
Sep 14, 2018 10:00 AM
Protocol: Incidental
Checklist Comments:     Walk
2 species

Common Gallinule (Gallinula galeata)  12
Red-necked Phalarope (Phalaropus lobatus)  2     Pair (1 adult and 1 juvenile) foraging near shore in pond where Black-necked Stilts seen during summer months. Digiscoped. Large bodies, small heads, black eye mask extending onto neck.

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S158263705

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)

Comments