How Cold Was It? - 30 Jan 2019


The Polar Vortex roared into the Midwest overnight with temperatures here in SE Michigan reaching -5F and forecasts reaching only -3F as a high. Windchills could go as low as -30F to -40F depending on location. I took the opportunity to run down to the Detroit River to check on the freezing ducks.

My first stop was at Dingell Park at the foot of Southfield Road. With winds gusting I braved the temperatures to stalk a Common Goldeneye that was hugging the near shoreline. I was able to sneak up on the drake as he dove for minnows next to the break wall. This is a bird that will test the dynamic range of even the best of cameras. I was shooting Manual Exposure with a -2.0 EV and still had to move my Highlights slider all the way left in order to avoid blown highlights.



I managed a few flight shots as he, and a female flew off into the mist.





Dingell Park (formally Ecorse Park), Wayne, Michigan, US
Jan 30, 2019 11:30 AM - 11:50 AM
Protocol: Traveling
0.1 mile(s)
Checklist Comments:     The Polar Vortex roared into the Midwest overnight with temperatures here in SE Michigan reaching -5F and forecasts reaching only -3F as a high. Windchills could go as low as -30F to -40F depending on location.
1 species

Common Goldeneye (Bucephala clangula)  2

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S160871641

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)

Unable to bear the cold any longer, I headed back to work to warm up. At 3 pm I headed over to the Seaway Boat Club to check the open waters next to the bar. Score! A small raft of Canvasback and Redhead were foraging next to shore for Gizzard Shad that must have been swarming. Standing next to the dumpster I was able to get some close photos through the railing as the Canvasbacks and Redheads attempted to swallow minnows that were just a tad too large.


They were so busy with their own struggles that they ignored my presence. I was able to make my way to the edge of the railing and shoot down on them as they swarmed each other trying to steal the half-eaten shad. No matter how hard the tried though, they could not swallow the minnows without beating them on the water until they broke into smaller pieces.  I fired away for the next 15 minutes until the camera froze. My day was done. Check out the ice on these poor birds!































Seaway Boat Club, Wyandotte, Wayne, Michigan, US
Jan 30, 2019 3:00 PM - 3:43 PM
Protocol: Stationary
Checklist Comments:     Cold!
2 species

Canvasback (Aythya valisineria)  12
Redhead (Aythya americana)  12

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S160871907

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)