Sharpie! - 31 Jan 2019


Driving home from work this afternoon I spotted a small acceptor flying across Beech Daly Rd. just south of King Rd. The bird flew into the trees next to the road on my left. Luckily, I had my camera on the seat next to me, so I was able to roll down the window and get some pics before the hawk flew away. The bitter cold did not help, as convection currents from the heated car interior destroyed AF and made getting clean photos all but impossible. But, I managed a couple keepers.

I was expecting a Cooper's Hawk, but was surprised to see an adult Sharp-shinned Hawk. This is a rarity this time of year, but the small, rounded head, continuous gray cap and nape, square tail and buggy eyes helped cinch ID.


Beech Daly Rd, Brownstown, Wayne, Michigan, US
Jan 31, 2019 4:00 PM - 4:05 PM
Protocol: Traveling
1.0 mile(s)
Checklist Comments:     Driving home from work;
1 species

Sharp-shinned Hawk (Accipiter striatus)  1     adult; small head, cap and nape dark gray, continuous, eyes orange, forward on head, tail flat. Landed in tree next to road and was able to get pics from inside car.

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S52259102

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)