Pileated Woodpecker - 31 May 2019


The morning was spent cleaning and vacuuming the chalet. While Robin left for morning class I finished packing the car and cleaning out the refrigerator. With hours before leaving I would take one last walk along Sand Lake Lodge Ln.

It was clear and warm this morning and the mosquitos were hungry. But, I focused on getting a few pics of a pair of Red-eyed Vireos to my left while the little blood-suckers covered my hands.




A (presumed) female Scarlet Tanager made a brief appearance. 


As I continued on down the lane I heard a loud “woomp-woomp” directly to my left. A Pileated Woodpecker had just lifted off the ground and flew to one of the trees about six feet away from me. This thing was huge! At first I thought it was a Turkey Vulture until I saw its red and white head. With camera at the ready I fired away at point blank range.





The bird was backlit by the morning sun, but exposure compensation and some nice head turns gave me some really nice exposures. It continued on toward the resort where I can still hear it now pounding away at the pine trees two hours later.

A Chestnut-sided Warbler appeared and gave me a chance to play with perspective. Up close it gave me a nice portrait, but I zoomed out it looked like it was taking shelter from a downpour of sun rays!




A Mourning Cloak butterfly landed on the road ahead of me and offered a pic or two.


I headed back to the lodge to wash blood off the hands and wait to head home. While I waited for Robin to finish her class I sat outside the lodge and watched a Song Sparrow sing from the fence just a few feet away. A Ruby-throated Hummingbird flew by, and a briefly chased a Scarlet Tanager nearby.  We would then drive 12 straight hours to get home. Great trip!



13284 Dillman's Way, Lac Du Flambeau US-WI (46.0045,-89.8442), Vilas, Wisconsin, US
May 31, 2019 9:00 AM - 10:00 AM
Protocol: Traveling
1.0 mile(s)
6 species

Ruby-throated Hummingbird (Archilochus colubris)  1
Pileated Woodpecker (Dryocopus pileatus)  1
Red-eyed Vireo (Vireo olivaceus)  2
Song Sparrow (Melospiza melodia)  1
Chestnut-sided Warbler (Setophaga pensylvanica)  1
Scarlet Tanager (Piranga olivacea)  2

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S160811596

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)