No Shorebirds, Yet - 03 Jul 2019
I typically equate the 4th of July with the start of fall migration. In years past this day has seen the arrival of the first southbound Least Sandpipers and Lesser Yellowlegs in SE Michigan. Today would be a disappointment, however, as shorebird habitat is all but gone from high water. I would see no shorebirds, yet.
I started the ride this evening at Mouillee Creek parking lot and headed out the Middle Causeway of Pt. Mouillee SGA and rode east to the Humphries Unit. Spotted Sandpipers and Killdeer were the only local shorebirds I would see. Swamp Sparrows, Indigo Buntings and Common Yellowthroats were vocal during the entire ride. At the pump house a flock of mostly Tree Swallows were roosting in the trees by the hundreds. Among them were some Barn Swallows and (possibly) Bank Swallows, but they were difficult to tell apart from the juvenile Tree Swallows.
Stable Flies and Horseflies were harassing me the entire ride, which did not help since birds were largely absent along the dike separating Long Pond and Vermet Units. The North Causeway had a few American Coot and Common Gallinules (with chicks), but little else. Painted Turtles scattered from any floating structures along the Huron River side of the causeway. Dragonflies and butterflies were fairly abundant, so I stopped when appropriate to photograph them. Green Darners, Blue Dashers, Red Admirals, Monarchs, and Black Swallowtails (including one poor fellow looking a bit chewed up).
A few feet ahead of me I spotted a very large Fox Snake sunning itself by the side of the trail. I made sure to shoo it back into cover to avoid any oncoming tires.
Jul 3, 2019 5:00 PM - 7:30 PM
Protocol: Traveling
8.0 mile(s)
10 species
Common Gallinule (Gallinula galeata) 4
American Coot (Fulica americana) 6
Killdeer (Charadrius vociferus) 4
Spotted Sandpiper (Actitis macularius) 2
American White Pelican (Pelecanus erythrorhynchos) 1
Bank Swallow (Riparia riparia) 50
Tree Swallow (Tachycineta bicolor) 200
Swamp Sparrow (Melospiza georgiana) 3
Common Yellowthroat (Geothlypis trichas) 2
Indigo Bunting (Passerina cyanea) 2
View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S1
This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)

Jul 3, 2019 7:30 PM - 7:50 PM
Protocol: Traveling
1.0 mile(s)
2 species
Bobolink (Dolichonyx oryzivorus) 4
Dickcissel (Spiza americana) 4
View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S1
This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)

































Comments
Post a Comment
Please leave a comment. I will try to respond ASAP.