Red-tailed Hawk In Flight - 29 Nov 2019


The Gyrfalcon hadn't been sighted in the past two days, and a report came out of southern Ontario of a gray-phased Gyrfalcon that had been sighted. I was worried that it was our bird and that I had missed my opportunity to see it. But, I was in the area and decided to make a quick pass through Grace Lake (empty) and Willow Run Airport. I would not see any sign of a Gyrfalcon, or a Snowy Owl that had been reported earlier in the day, but did see (I believe) the same Red-tailed Hawk that gave such good photos a few days ago.


It was perched on the south fence along the s. Service Drive and took off as soon as I slowed the car, but soared across the road and landed on the north fence. I decided to try for it on the way back after checking the rest of the landfill to my left. So, I drove down to the airport entrance and turned around. On the way back it was still perched along the fence line to my left, so I slowed the car and got some frames off just as it was lifting off. It then flew a short 12 feet or so and landed again.











It then flew back across the road and perched on the fence where I left it. Pretty bird!

I got home about 3 pm and would learn that Kevin Murphy found the Gyrfalcon back at Grace Lake at 4:30 pm and got some wonderful photos. Good to hear that its still around.

Willow Run Airport (restricted access), Wayne, Michigan, US
Nov 29, 2019 1:00 PM - 2:00 PM
Protocol: Traveling
3.0 mile(s)
1 species

Red-tailed Hawk (Buteo jamaicensis)  1

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S160520522

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)