Snow Bunting - 02 Jan 2020


Robin had a hair appointment in Trenton, so I offered to drop her off and go birding for 2 hours. Since I was near Pt. Mouillee SGA I figured I'd take a quick ride to see if I could relocate either the Purple Sandpiper or Dunlin that had been previously reported along the South Causeway. Though it was windy it was mild (50F) and sunny, so took the bike and parked at the Roberts Road parking lot at 1 pm.

The ground was soft, and with the wind blowing 20-25 mph it was a grueling ride just to get around to the Lake Erie side of the Banana Unit. Waves were crashing along the shore, so it was no surprise that neither Dunlin nor Purple Sandpiper were found. I did have a nice consolation in the form of a Snow Bunting that bounced along the rocks of the South Causeway. I was able to get pics from the bike using the Sony a9 and 200-600mm lens as I rode out.






I was then able to relocate it (along with a 2nd bird) on my return trip, so I decided to digiscope it.



The only other bird I saw during my ride was a male American Kestrel kiting over Cell 1; I got a few long-distance photos. As I was leaving the parking area I spotted a Ring-necked Pheasant crossing Roberts Road just south of Rheaume Rd.

As I drove along Rheaume a pair of Red-tailed Hawks were floating over the quarry to my left.

At the turn I spotted a pair of Bald Eagles that were tussling with each other before being chased off by a screaming Red-tailed Hawk.






As I reached US Turnpike and Rheaume Rd. I spotted a Tree Swallow overhead battling the wind. Several had been seen during the Rockwood Christmas Bird Count and reported since then, so it was good to see them still after the new year.

Pte. Mouillee SGA (permit required Sep 1-Dec 15), Monroe, Michigan, US
Jan 2, 2020 1:00 PM - 3:00 PM
Protocol: Traveling
6.0 mile(s)
Checklist Comments:     Failed to relocated reported Dunlins or Purple Sandpiper; sunny; 50F, Winds 10-25 from S made riding difficult on soft dikes;
12 species

Tundra Swan (Cygnus columbianus)  4
Mallard (Anas platyrhynchos)  2
American Black Duck (Anas rubripes)  4
Common Goldeneye (Bucephala clangula)  2
Ring-necked Pheasant (Phasianus colchicus)  1     male crossing Roberts Rd just south of Rheaume Rd.
Ring-billed Gull (Larus delawarensis)  2
Herring Gull (Larus argentatus)  2
Bald Eagle (Haliaeetus leucocephalus)  5     3 in trees on west side of Humphries Unit (2 ad; 1 imm); 2 on Rheaume Rd. near quarry;
Red-tailed Hawk (Buteo jamaicensis)  1
American Kestrel (Falco sparverius)  1
Tree Swallow (Tachycineta bicolor)  1     Single bird flying at Rheaume Rd and US Turnpike; watched from stopped vehicle; continuing birds w/ several seen within the SGA itself the past week or two;
Snow Bunting (Plectrophenax nivalis)  2     1 on south causeway; digiscoped; 2nd on Banana next to Lk Erie shoreline between Cells 1-2;

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S62976114

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)


A quick run through Pt. Moo HQ (Campau Rd) netted a Wild Turkey and another pair of Bald Eagles.



Not a bad 2 hrs. during errand runs.

Pte. Mouillee SGA--HQ, Wayne, Michigan, US
Jan 2, 2020 2:00 PM - 2:20 PM
Protocol: Traveling
2.0 mile(s)
2 species

Wild Turkey (Meleagris gallopavo)  1     Along campau road. Tom.
Bald Eagle (Haliaeetus leucocephalus)  2

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S160362125

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)