Yellow-rumped Warbler - 25 Apr 2020


A look at the radar last night indicated a big push of bird migrants through the Great Lakes Region. I took a walk out back after yesterday's rains to see if any of those birds showed up in our neighborhood. I heard lots of singing, but they were coming from the usual suspects: Northern Cardinals, Black-capped Chickadees, Red-winged Blackbirds, Song Sparrows, American Goldfinches, White-throated Sparrows and House Finches.





The Eastern Towhee male continues to sing from perches near the drainage ditch in the woods behind the house. A Cooper's Hawk flew overhead, as did several Mallard and Turkey Vultures. A Ruby-crowned Kinglet was singing, as well, but not cooperative in the photo department.


A male Eastern Bluebird was working the nest box at the edge of Quinlan Prairie, along with his mate. I managed a couple pics in the overcast skies.


As I returned to the field I decided to wander the tree line looking for birds. As I listened to the Spring Peepers start up I swear I heard the yank of a Sora in the wet puddle nearby; its pitch was much more nasal relative to the frogs, which was why I took notice. But, I did not hear it again.


A Yellow-rumped Warbler appeared along the tree line at eye-level. I managed to get some nice photos despite its ability to pose behind a single branch that would obscure any clean views. It was to watch it fly catch from limb to limb.








As I returned to the yard I walked around front and caught an American Robin posing nicely in the now-increasing windstorm.


Brownton Abbey, 26340 Higgins Way, Wayne, Michigan, US
Apr 25, 2020 9:00 AM - 9:30 AM
Protocol: Traveling
0.1 mile(s)
Checklist Comments:     Yard; Radar showed big push of migrants overnight
15 species

Mallard (Anas platyrhynchos)  6
Turkey Vulture (Cathartes aura)  4
Cooper's Hawk (Accipiter cooperii)  1
Black-capped Chickadee (Poecile atricapillus)  4
Ruby-crowned Kinglet (Corthylio calendula)  1
Eastern Bluebird (Sialia sialis)  2
American Robin (Turdus migratorius)  1
House Finch (Haemorhous mexicanus)  6
American Goldfinch (Spinus tristis)  4
White-throated Sparrow (Zonotrichia albicollis)  2
Song Sparrow (Melospiza melodia)  2
Eastern Towhee (Pipilo erythrophthalmus)  1
Red-winged Blackbird (Agelaius phoeniceus)  4
Yellow-rumped Warbler (Setophaga coronata)  1
Northern Cardinal (Cardinalis cardinalis)  2

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S160289564

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)