Great-crested Flycatcher - 20 May 2020


After an early dinner I took another walk out back to look for warblers. The Swainson's Thrush appeared on the trail ahead of me but proved to be too elusive for photos. Twice. 

As I chased it down the trail a Magnolia Warbler appeared briefly but would disappear into the trees before I could even raise the camera. Another Chestnut-sided Warbler and American Redstart appeared, but proved elusive, as well.

My only pic of the evening would be of a male Eastern Towhee that was singingin in the woods to my left.


I would instead turn the camera on tiny buttercups growing on the trail ahead of me. I believe this one to be a Hairy Buttercup based on the fuzzy stems.


Just as I was heading out I heard the loud "Wheeep" of a Great-crested Flycatcher. I was able to spot it high in the trees where I'd be able to get some decent photos using the Sony a7RIV and 200-600mm lens in APS-C mode.



I'd return to the house just in time to watch several Baltimore Orioles visit the jelly cups.


Brownton Abbey, 26340 Higgins Way, Wayne, Michigan, US
May 20, 2020 5:30 PM - 6:30 PM
Protocol: Traveling
0.2 mile(s)
Checklist Comments:     Yard watch
7 species

Great Crested Flycatcher (Myiarchus crinitus)  1
Swainson's Thrush (Catharus ustulatus)  1
Eastern Towhee (Pipilo erythrophthalmus)  1
Orchard Oriole (Icterus spurius)  3
American Redstart (Setophaga ruticilla)  1
Magnolia Warbler (Setophaga magnolia)  1
Chestnut-sided Warbler (Setophaga pensylvanica)  1

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S160260342

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)