Thoughts of Hawk Watch - 18 Jun 2020


As I pulled into the driveway here at Brownton Abbey I spotted an Osprey slowly soaring in circles and drifting this way. I had the Sony a9 and 200-600mm f/5.6-6.3 lens with me so I hurriedly parked and waited for it to come closer. I took a few dozen photos as it slowly drifted over the house.

After dinner Robin and I spent some time on the deck enjoying the evening quiet and warmth. Having missed a fly-over Cooper's Hawk I decided to grab the camera and wait for something else. That something else was a nice Turkey Vulture that floated in over the yard and circled a few times before continuing west.




It got me thinking that Detroit River Hawk Watch 2020 is fast approaching.

Brownton Abbey, 26340 Higgins Way, Wayne, Michigan, US
Jun 18, 2020 4:30 PM - 6:30 PM
Protocol: Stationary
Checklist Comments:     Yard watch
3 species

Turkey Vulture (Cathartes aura)  1
Osprey (Pandion haliaetus)  1
Cooper's Hawk (Accipiter cooperii)  1

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S160218413

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)