Brownton Warblers - 15 May 2021


I was awake at 6 am and saw a female Ruby-throated Hummingbird on the feeder just outside the window. Nice start to the morning!

I stepped out onto the deck, and despite the chilly temps (40F) the woods out back were alive with the sound of migration. Finally heard the first Eastern Towhee of the spring. A pair of House Wrens singing to each other across the field. 

At about 10 am I heard the loud "Seebit-Seebit-Si-Si-Si" of a Nashville Warbler so I grabbed the camera and headed to the treeline at the back of Quinlan Prairie. I wasn't too surprised to find a male American Redstart as they often sound very similar to Nashvilles. I chased it through to dark trees and bright skies and eventually was able to get a few nice pics as it foraged in the understory. Not to be outdone, I did find the singing Nashville Warbler, as well.



A Chestnut-sided Warbler was singing, but was up in the canopy too far to photograph.

As I returned to the yard a female Baltimore Oriole scolded me for being too close to the jelly feeder. She made for some nice images to compare w/ the Orchard Oriole female from a few days ago.






Brownton Abbey, 26340 Higgins Way, Wayne, Michigan, US
May 15, 2021 6:30 AM
Protocol: Incidental
Checklist Comments:     Yard watch
7 species

Ruby-throated Hummingbird (Archilochus colubris)  1
House Wren (Troglodytes aedon)  2
Eastern Towhee (Pipilo erythrophthalmus)  1
Baltimore Oriole (Icterus galbula)  1
Nashville Warbler (Leiothlypis ruficapilla)  1
American Redstart (Setophaga ruticilla)  1
Chestnut-sided Warbler (Setophaga pensylvanica)  1

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S159826982

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)

Comments