First Wave - 04 May 2021
I spent a couple of hours this morning at Lake Erie Metropark to check on migrants. The first wave has arrived; these birds include Palm and Yellow-rumped Warblers. They were everywhere. Unfortunately, overcast and dark clouds produced low-light photo opps and many a blurred photo.
Great Egrets and Caspian Terns on the ponds were a bit easier.
The trail next to the Marshland Museum did produce an orange Scarlet Tanager, some House Wrens, and Blue-gray Gnatcatchers. But otherwise, it was slow. Most action was on the west side of trail loop.
I then drove over to the Boat Launch and walked the Cherry Trail. Yellow Warblers were deafening, but impossible to photograph. My best luck came in the form of a pair of Blue-gray Gnatcatchers that stayed low enough for a few moments. I got scolded by a Song Sparrow that was announcing a nearby nest.
I never did see the Black-throated Green Warblers. They were in the canopy.
Finally, some Canada Geese goslings snoozing in the grass during a brief and rare moment of sunshine.
Afternoon reports would include a Kirtland's Warbler at Maumee Bay State Park in NW Ohio and a Blue Grosbeak at nearby Detroit River International Wildlife Refuge.
Lake Erie Metropark--Marshlands Nature Center, Wayne, Michigan, US
May 4, 2021 8:00 AM - 10:00 AM
Protocol: Traveling
3.0 mile(s)
10 species
Canada Goose (Branta canadensis) 8
Caspian Tern (Hydroprogne caspia) 4
Great Egret (Ardea alba) 16
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher (Polioptila caerulea) 4
House Wren (Troglodytes aedon) 2
Song Sparrow (Melospiza melodia) 2
Yellow Warbler (Setophaga petechia) 12
Palm Warbler (Setophaga palmarum) 7
Black-throated Green Warbler (Setophaga virens) 2
Scarlet Tanager (Piranga olivacea) 1
View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S1
This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)

























Comments
Post a Comment
Please leave a comment. I will try to respond ASAP.