More Wind - 02 May 2021
Despite the blowing winds I took a drive down to Erie Marsh Preserve in s. Monroe Co. to look for Willets and the Wilson's Phalaropes that were reported earlier in the day. I arrived at 5:30 pm and could barely get the car door open as the wind was making its presence felt.
I walked out onto the dikes past the cottages and headed north and east to check out the ponds. The corn field to the south had a puddled opening that held dozens of Dunlin, Pectoral Sandpipers, Lesser Yellowlegs, and Green-winged Teal. High winds and high magnifications did not go together so it was difficult to do anything except scan.
I continued on and flushed dozens of American Coot that were huddled near shore, and managed a few flight shots as they banked across my field of view.
A patch of stubble held a nice assortment of Greater Yellowlegs, Long- and Short-billed Dowitchers, Lesser Yellowlegs, and Blue-winged Teal. The Greater Yellowlegs were fluffed up and appeared massive next to the smaller Lesser Yellowlegs. I had to do double-takes just to verify that I wasn't looking at Willets.
I walked out to the tree line at the north end of the pond, but the winds were strong enough that large branches and chunks of bark were coming off the willows lining the trail. I decided not to go farther. Instead, I removed the hat, and turned back into the teeth of the winds that were blowing a steady 30 mph.
Yellow Warblers and White-throated Sparrows were keeping low to the ground while Tree Swallows hunkered atop the bluebird houses scattered along the dike.
A Green Darner was the first dragonfly for me this year, so I spent a few minutes chasing it trying to get photos of it in flight.
It seemed, as always, that the winds stopped blowing as soon as I got to the car. Midges were dancing in the air in front of me, so I assumed the winds were done. But, as soon as I left the confines of the wooded area the whistling through partial-open windows assured me that they were still around.
Erie Marsh Preserve, Monroe, Michigan, US
May 2, 2021 5:30 PM - 6:30 PM
Protocol: Traveling
2.0 mile(s)
Checklist Comments: Windy, cold!
12 species
Blue-winged Teal (Spatula discors) 4
Green-winged Teal (Anas crecca) 6
American Coot (Fulica americana) 38
Short-billed Dowitcher (Limnodromus griseus) 4 Foraging next to LBDO; slightly smaller and showing hendersoni characteristics.
Long-billed Dowitcher (Limnodromus scolopaceus) 5 Brick red, chevrons on flanks.
Lesser Yellowlegs (Tringa flavipes) 8
Greater Yellowlegs (Tringa melanoleuca) 6
Dunlin (Calidris alpina) 12
Pectoral Sandpiper (Calidris melanotos) 8
Tree Swallow (Tachycineta bicolor) 12
White-throated Sparrow (Zonotrichia albicollis) 4
Yellow Warbler (Setophaga petechia) 2
View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S1
This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)










Comments
Post a Comment
Please leave a comment. I will try to respond ASAP.