Swamp Sparrows - 31 Oct 2021


I headed down to the Detroit River Hawk Watch to hopefully see some early morning raptors moving. The Sun was showing and skies were clear.  A flock of 300 American Crows took advantage  of the clear skies and started moving across the channel as early as 8:30 am. But, as 9 am rolled around, so did the clouds. I decided to take a walk along the trail south of the boat launch.


A pair of Common Gallinules (juveniles) were a nice find. The quiet of the woods was interrupted, however, by the shotgun blasts of duck hunters working the edges of the metropark. Grrrr.

As I returned over the bridge I spotted a small flock of American Goldfinch working the alders. I hoped to see a Pine Siskin but failed. But, the chatter of squabbling Swamp Sparrows got my attention. 

With the Sun to my back I had a tiny window into the base of the cattails where a half-dozen Swamp Sparrows were chattering and chasing each other in and out of view. I did my best to capture some images, but that single blade of grass always seemed to be in the way. 



The Song Sparrows did not like the squabbling!






My luck was beginning to improve when the trail master drove by in a John Deere and a gasoline-powered leaf blower. As expected everything disappeared. All I could do was give him the stink eye as he drove by with his head down. 

Hawk Watch would prove to be slow to start, and wouldn't pick up (800 birds total) until after I left for home. Happy Halloween!

Lake Erie Metropark, Wayne, Michigan, US
Oct 31, 2021 8:30 AM - 9:30 AM
Protocol: Traveling
1.0 mile(s)
4 species

Common Gallinule (Gallinula galeata)  2     Juveniles in canal near Cove Point. White flanks next to primaries. Yellow-tipped reddish-brown bills. No shield.
American Crow (Corvus brachyrhynchos)  300
American Goldfinch (Spinus tristis)  12
Swamp Sparrow (Melospiza georgiana)  6

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S159703027

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)