Common Tern - 07 Nov 2021
Clear and cold this morning, but temps may reach 55F today. This is the fourth day of S. winds so hawk watch is expected to be slow. Still, I wanted to swing by and see if a Golden Eagle might ignore my presence and fly over.
I walked the Museum trail and found a Hairy Woodpecker. A Downy Woodpecker followed on the same tree for a nice comparison of beak size.
A Bald Eagle posed nicely in the morning Sun at the north end of the trail.
The trail was quiet, but I did run into a flock of sparrows that included Swamp, Song, and White-throated Sparrows. A Carolina Wren also appeared, but only showed its business end.
At the NW corner of the loop a Winter Wren dashed across the trail. Golden-crowned Kinglets were "tsiii-tsiii"-ing around me but I could not see a one...
At the hawk watch things were slow, as expected. A Northern Watersnake appeared at Andy Sturgess' feet and tried to get some Sun, but shade disappointed it.
A Common Tern has been seen the past few days and appeared again this morning. I spent some time photographing it at a distance. It's a good sighting for November as they are usually gone by now.
Lake Erie Metropark, Wayne, Michigan, US
Nov 7, 2021 9:00 AM - 11:00 AM
Protocol: Traveling
1.0 mile(s)
Checklist Comments: 55F
10 species
Common Tern (Sterna hirundo) 1 "Capped" tern unlike the face mask of a Forster's Tern. Channel in front of hawk watch.
Bald Eagle (Haliaeetus leucocephalus) 1
Downy Woodpecker (Dryobates pubescens) 1
Hairy Woodpecker (Dryobates villosus) 1
Golden-crowned Kinglet (Regulus satrapa) 2
Winter Wren (Troglodytes hiemalis) 1
Carolina Wren (Thryothorus ludovicianus) 1
White-throated Sparrow (Zonotrichia albicollis) 1
Song Sparrow (Melospiza melodia) 1
Swamp Sparrow (Melospiza georgiana) 1
View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S1
This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)

















Comments
Post a Comment
Please leave a comment. I will try to respond ASAP.