American Kestrel - 08 Dec 2021






I made a quick swing through the Detroit River International Wildlife Refuge Humbug Marsh Unit after work. Skies were overcast, so when I saw this American Kestrel I could only see it as a silhouette. Despite hiding behind some construction equipment I couldn't get very good exposures as it perched in a tree just 50' away. 

It then made a foraging flight a short way off, but again, lighting was bad.



I then saw our former Wyandotte neighbors Mike and Karen and stopped to say hi. They turned out to be the best sighting... 

The only other sighting was a Northern Flicker along the fence line as I drove out.


Detroit River IWR--Refuge Gateway (Humbug Marsh), Wayne, Michigan, US
Dec 8, 2021 3:30 PM - 3:45 PM
Protocol: Traveling
1.0 mile(s)
2 species

Northern Flicker (Colaptes auratus)  1
American Kestrel (Falco sparverius)  1

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S159648651

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)

Comments