Hooded Warbler - 29 Apr 2022

I took an early afternoon walk through the Detroit River Wildlife Refuge. Skies were mostly clear and the air was a cool 50F. Buds are starting to break. The refuge trails were relatively quiet, but a pair of Eastern Phoebes near the outdoor center were a nice find.


A FOY Blue-gray Gnatcatcher was buzzing overhead, but challenging to photograph. I'd have to wait until I headed to Lake Erie Metropark to get some quality pics.

The long trail along the west side of the Monguagon Drain was muddy. Walking was a chore, but worth the Hermit Thrush that quietly appeared in the brush to my right. Returning to the main causeway brought a Great Egret roosting in the bare trees lining the ponds. I could only manage a few flight shots as it circled the tree line. A Carolina Wren and FOY House Wren were nice finds.


Detroit River IWR--Refuge Gateway (Humbug Marsh), Wayne, Michigan, US
Apr 29, 2022 3:00 PM - 3:40 PM
Protocol: Traveling
0.5 mile(s)
Checklist Comments:     Clear, 50F
6 species

Great Egret (Ardea alba)  1
Eastern Phoebe (Sayornis phoebe)  2
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher (Polioptila caerulea)  1
House Wren (Troglodytes aedon)  1
Carolina Wren (Thryothorus ludovicianus)  1
Hermit Thrush (Catharus guttatus)  1

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S159563140

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)

I headed to LEMP to walk the Marshland Museum Trail. At the entrance I greeted Luc the Bald Eagle and immediately found a pair of Blue-gray Gnatcatchers foraging overhead.




Along the east side of the trail a Cedar Waxwing made a brief appearance ahead of me. Otherwise, there were no warblers to see or hear. 



A pair of Swamp Sparrows were the only birds seen along the north end of the trail. The west side was also quiet until a pair of Ruby-crowned Kinglets buzzed me from the trailside.


As I passed the observation dock I caught a glimpse of an olive-green warbler with white outer tail feathers that fanned in flight. I immediately thought Hooded Warbler! I was kinda shocked to see it a few moments later and verify it by its dark head and hood.






Unfortunately the bird was skulking in thick brush and only made brief appearances through openings in the understory. I managed to get a few record shots before it continued on into the woods. I headed around to the south side of the trail and looked for it, but it did not reappear. I settled for a bright White-throated Sparrow


Luckily, Paul Cypher reported it a bit later, and others (Tom Mulcrone) would get to see it a day later!

Lake Erie Metropark, Wayne, Michigan, US
Apr 29, 2022 4:00 PM - 4:30 PM
Protocol: Traveling
1.0 mile(s)
6 species

Ruby-crowned Kinglet (Corthylio calendula)  2
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher (Polioptila caerulea)  2
Cedar Waxwing (Bombycilla cedrorum)  1
White-throated Sparrow (Zonotrichia albicollis)  1
Swamp Sparrow (Melospiza georgiana)  2
Hooded Warbler (Setophaga citrina)  1

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S159563344

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)

On my way home I took a swing down Roberts Road to look for the White-eyed Vireo that was seen near the cement silo. Though I sat and listened for 15 minutes I could only turn up a Palm Warbler that was bouncing around next to the car.






Pte. Mouillee SGA (permit required Sep 1-Dec 15), Monroe, Michigan, US
Apr 29, 2022 5:00 PM - 5:15 PM
Protocol: Traveling
1.0 mile(s)
Checklist Comments:     Roberts Rd. south of Rheaume Rd.
1 species

Palm Warbler (Setophaga palmarum)  1

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S159563479

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)