Black-bellied Plover - 27 May 2022

I took the day off to enjoy an extra long Memorial Day Weekend. After last night's rain the ground was soggy, bu forecasts called for clearing skies later this morning. In the meantime 6:30 am brought heavy clouds and a muggy, slightly drizzly morning ride at Pt. Mouillee SGA. I was in search of 3 Plegadis ibis (2 White-faced and 1 Glossy) that were reported a day or so ago. Whimbrels had been spotted in large numbers the past 2 days, so I was hoping to pick up a straggler or two.

I parked at Siegler Rd. and headed out the North Causeway. A pair of American White Pelicans were a nice surprise as they were swimming next to shore along the Huron River. Unfortunately, lighting was too low for any sharp images in flight.

I decided to follow the dike that heads south at the east end of the Nelson Unit to see if I could find any shorebirds in the flooded field. The grassy trail was wet, and soft ground made riding difficult. I did see small flocks of Dunlin in the field, a pair of Willow Flycatchers nesting along the treeline, and numerous flocks of Canada Geese, several Common Yellowthroats, and a singing Marsh Wren at my feet. Otherwise, the trail emptied into the flooded field of the Walpatich Unit, so I had to ride back to the North Causeway to continue on.

I then headed back down the dike separating Nelson and Long Pond Units and headed toward the Lautenschlager and Walpatich Units and road SW toward the Mouillee Creek Parking Lot. Bruce Arnold had just seen the ibi? flying into the Walpatich Unit, but we did not see them when I arrived. I continued on along the Middle Causeway to check out the Pumphouse and adjoining Humphries Unit.

A flock of Caspian Tern (2 dozen) were roosting in the mudflats, but little else. I continued east until I reached the SE corner of the Humphries Unit where I spotted a Black-bellied Plover. The bird was nearby and showed well so I spent some time digiscoping it with the Sony a9 and 40/2.5 combo. 









When it flew off I was able to grab a few flight shots showing its black armpits. Handsome bird!







A flock of 29 Whimbrel then appeared off to the SW and passed by as I reached the Banana. They disappeared to the north, and I was unable to find them later in my ride.

I road down to Cell 3 and checked the Lake Erie beach but did not find anything other than an Indigo Bunting. I ran into Bruce and he mentioned that the ibis were seen again in the same location.

The ride back to the North Causeway was relatively non-eventful. I counted 40+ American White Pelican in the Vermet Unit and got a quick pic of 4 more birds flying in against dark skies. I did my best to not disturb the families of Canada geese that were on the dike ahead of me; luckily they did not find me a flushable threat.



The Huron River shoreline mudflats were covered with turtles of all sizes and shapes. They scattered before I could get close enough for photos.

I ran into Amber Piotter and Rick King back in the Nelson Unit and helped them re-find a White-rumped Sandpiper among a dozen Dunlin and Semipalmated Sandpipers. They had seen a Short-billed Dowitcher but we could not relocate it.

Pte. Mouillee SGA (permit required Sep 1-Dec 15), Monroe, Michigan, US
May 27, 2022 6:30 AM - 9:30 AM
Protocol: Traveling
11.0 mile(s)
11 species

Canada Goose (Branta canadensis)  56
Black-bellied Plover (Pluvialis squatarola)  1
Whimbrel (Numenius phaeopus)  29
Dunlin (Calidris alpina)  26
White-rumped Sandpiper (Calidris fuscicollis)  1
Caspian Tern (Hydroprogne caspia)  23
American White Pelican (Pelecanus erythrorhynchos)  42
Willow Flycatcher (Empidonax traillii)  2
Marsh Wren (Cistothorus palustris)  1
Common Yellowthroat (Geothlypis trichas)  2
Indigo Bunting (Passerina cyanea)  1

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S159573164

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)

As I drove home past Lake Erie Metropark I spotted another 13 Whimbrel flying overhead to the east.

Lake Erie Metropark, Wayne, Michigan, US
May 27, 2022 10:00 AM - 10:05 AM
Protocol: Traveling
0.2 mile(s)
1 species

Whimbrel (Numenius phaeopus)  13     Exact count. Flock of 13 flying east over Lake Erie Metropark as I drove by. 29 were spotted flying north whien I was at Pt. Mouillee just an hour ago. Long decurbed bills on large shorebirds.

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S159573432

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)