Prothonotary Warbler - 16 Jun 2022

Robin and I drove to Toledo for the day. She had a Neon Glass-Making Course at the Glass Pavilion while took a short trip to Maumee Bay State Park to look for a Tri-colored Heron.

Though I would dip on the heron, a couple pair of Prothonotary Warblers were wonderful consolation prizes. First heard with their loud "Sweet-Sweet-Sweet" call I quickly found them 20' off the ground in bare snags. One pair w/ a mouthfull of spiders spent time at eye-level in the cattail marsh singing just a few feet away.





















A pair of Blue Dasher dragonflies landed long enough for a few quick images.




Cattails in the marsh made for nice compositions in the hazy, hot, diffused lighting just before the rains came to cool the 90+F temps.



I even managed to get some digiscoped images of a singing male Prothonotary Warbler from 20' away.











As I made my way through the boardwalk behind the Nature Center I came upon a Great Blue Heron cooperative enough to let me digiscope it from 50' away.



Maumee Bay SP--Park Rd. 4 Area, Lucas, Ohio, US
Jun 16, 2022 9:30 AM - 10:30 AM
Protocol: Traveling
1.0 mile(s)
2 species

Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias)  1
Prothonotary Warbler (Protonotaria citrea)  4

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S159565933

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)