Tennessee Warbler - 27 Sep 2022


I stopped by Elizabeth Park in Trenton this afternoon for my grand-nephew Alex's Cross-Country Meet. I had an hour before the race, so I walked the park. Things were quiet until I found a couple of Nashville Warblers bouncing around the trees in the center of the park (next to the maintenance yard).

I then spotted a suspected Orange-crowned Warbler. The drab warbler had no wing bars and no contrast to the head back or underside. A faint eye-ring with a slight eye-line had me convinced until I reviewed images at home. It was then that I spotted the white under tail that suddenly made this bird an immature Tennessee Warbler. An Orange-crowned Warbler should show a yellow under tail. 






Here are a couple of links that describe the differences between Tennessee Warbler and Orange-crowned Warbler:




Still, a good bird. And a great opportunity to learn the differences between the two birds, which is a common problem this time of year.

Elizabeth Park (Trenton), Wayne, Michigan, US
Sep 27, 2022 4:00 PM - 6:00 PM
Protocol: Traveling
2.0 mile(s)
2 species

Tennessee Warbler (Leiothlypis peregrina)  1
Nashville Warbler (Leiothlypis ruficapilla)  2

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S159161681

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)