A Bitter Christmas Storm - 24 Dec 2022

A winter storm hit the US the past couple of days that has brought blizzard conditions, high winds, sub-zero temperatures, and a bomb cyclone to the east coast that would kill dozens in Buffalo. Here in SE Michigan we were forecasted to get 6 - 10" of snow, but saw less than 1". Reason? The wind.

With sustained 40 - 50 mph winds for 48 hours straight we had to deal with blowing snow, drifts, and sub-zero temperatures. How bad was it?


⚠️#Incredible Seiche on #LakeErie⚠️ The water level on the western basin of Lake Erie near Toledo has broken the all time lowest water level ever recorded and it is still dropping!

Justin Labadie had posted that the Lake Erie waters at Luna Pier were out a mile from shoreline (everything pushed to Buffalo). Robin and I took a drive to Pt. Mouillee to check water levels there; they were low, as well.


I made sure to put seed out, but I took down the feeders as I worried they'd be covered in snow and ice. The Mourning Doves, Dark-eyed Juncos, and Northern Cardinals did their best to stay hunkered down next to the house or in the shadow of the trees while the wind blew and gusted. Finally, Christmas morning came and the winds died down enough to go out and put the feeders back up. It would remain cold throughout the day, but the worst had passed.



Comments