First Warbler - 25 Apr 2023

I arrived at Magee Marsh in Lucas Co., OH shortly before 8 am. Skies held thin clouds with a hint of rain in the air. At home in SE Michigan forecasts were calling for rain and snow most of the morning, but here, with temperatures hovering at 39F it was quite comfortable.

As I drove the causeway I could hear Swamp Sparrows trilling in the distance, while Tree Swallows swarmed the numerous bluebird boxes scattered along its length. A single Blue-winged Teal drake swam in the canal to my left, so I was able to grab a few pics through the car window with the 200-600 lens.


Parking at the west end I entered the boardwalk and began looking for a Prothonotary Warble near where the tower "used" to stand. Storms have wreaked havoc in this area and the tower is gone while trees are down. The place was quiet save for the chattering a single Ruby-crowned Kinglet bouncing through the tangles.

Hermit Thrushes continue along the boardwalk but also continue to be elusive. 


The Bald Eagle nest was nicely backlit this morning as the Sun tried to break through the hazy clouds. Both parents could be seen from the parking lot perched nearby.


As I made my way along the west side of the boardwalk I spotted a Solitary Sandpiper working the creek directly below my feet. As always, trying to get a clear shot through tangles is a bit of a challenge. But the bird was gorgeous, and that eye-ring really popped in the morning light.


It was here that I ran into Ken Schmidt who was visiting from Oviedo, FL. We chatted about birds and cameras for almost 20 minutes. It was at this point I asked him about the Virginia Rails when he offered to show me where they were being seen. No sooner did we turn to walk toward the east end when a Virginia Rail ran below our feet along the creek edge. His friend Sharon (?) arrived and the three of us spent some time waiting for it to reappear from under a snag of trees laying in the creek. 



A second rail appeared a bit farther down the boardwalk but disappeared into the cattails next to our location. 

As we parted ways I ran into Lyndsey Kunkel. She was birding the boardwalk and we both came upon (my) first Yellow-rumped Warblers of the season. 




After a brief chat I continued back toward the car at the west end of the boardwalk. I looked for a Screech Owl in the snag from last week but it was not showing. I did see several White-throated Sparrows working the ground, and one even posed long enough for a pic.


I came upon a Carolina Wren singing loudly next to the rails, but couldn't locate it. But, it put me onto an Eastern Towhee male that was singing overhead.


The towhee was cooperative, and as I moved around for a better look I spotted a pair of Carolina Wrens singing at eye-level.




Continuing on I spotted a female Eastern Towhee. A few pics later she continued on her way and took me into a better view of another male towhee.







Magee Marsh--Boardwalk, Lucas, Ohio, US
Apr 25, 2023 8:00 AM - 10:00 AM
Protocol: Traveling
2.0 mile(s)
Checklist Comments:     39F; mild
12 species

Blue-winged Teal (Spatula discors)  1
Virginia Rail (Rallus limicola)  2
Solitary Sandpiper (Tringa solitaria)  1
Bald Eagle (Haliaeetus leucocephalus)  2
Tree Swallow (Tachycineta bicolor)  12
Ruby-crowned Kinglet (Corthylio calendula)  1
Carolina Wren (Thryothorus ludovicianus)  2
Hermit Thrush (Catharus guttatus)  2
White-throated Sparrow (Zonotrichia albicollis)  2
Swamp Sparrow (Melospiza georgiana)  2
Eastern Towhee (Pipilo erythrophthalmus)  2
Yellow-rumped Warbler (Setophaga coronata)  2

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S158510529

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)

I returned to the car and headed to Howard Marsh. A Western Sandpiper had been reported at the bathroom areas and I suspected it was in the adjacent pond. Upon arrival I saw numerous Dunlin, but no small peeps. One Dunlin was extremely pale and gave hints of a Western Sandpiper, but I suspect it was not the bird reported (Paul Jacyck would show an image of a Western later in the day). 



As I scoped the Dunlin I spotted a pair of Long-billed Dowitchers a bit farther away, and headed over to get some digiscoped images. Lyndsey arrived moments later and we both watched them forage next to shore before flying off, circling back, then flying off a few minutes later.



Getting a few open-wing shots allowed verification of ID. Long-billed Dowitchers have white armpits or "headlights" that are covered with dark axillary chevrons in Short-billed Dowitchers. 



The rain started falling so it was time to pack up and head home.

Howard Marsh Metropark, Lucas, Ohio, US
Apr 25, 2023 10:30 AM - 11:00 AM
Protocol: Traveling
0.5 mile(s)
2 species

Long-billed Dowitcher (Limnodromus scolopaceus)  2
Dunlin (Calidris alpina)  12

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S158510697

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)