Rainbow Over the Refuge - 30 Apr 2023

 

Its been cold and rainy the past several days, and migration has been slowed. I decided to take a late afternoon drive to the Detroit River International Wildlife Refuge to get in a quick walk and to see if there were any warblers around.

I arrived shortly after 6 pm just as the heavy clouds started dropping rain. The Sun appeared momentarily and created a beautiful rainbow over the Detroit River that was nicely illuminated by the dark skies. I took a few images w/ the 200-600mm lens at 200mm before remembering that I had the 40mm f/2.5 lens on me. A few panoramic sweeps later and I had enough images to stitch together for a full rainbow.


I drove over to the Visitor Center and walked the short loop trail. It was very quiet. A Northern Flicker was pounding on one of the dead trees while its mate watched from atop another snag.

Four Bufflehead continue in the Detroit River next to the Humbug Marsh Unit, but that was it. Everything else (waterfowl) seems to have moved on. The boardwalk was quiet. I would only see a single Ruby-crowned Kinglet and a Blue-gray Gnatcatcher the entire loop.

It was starting to rain again, so I packed up and headed home.