New Batch of Birds @ Elizabeth Park - 20 Sep 2023

I've not been to Elizabeth Park in almost 2 weeks so I was curious to see what was showing (if anything). Skies were mostly cloudy with a hint of rain and humidity was high. So were the mosquitos; thankfully I had a head net and gloves that only slowed them down.

I walked the central island trails near the maintenance yard and found a small patch of warblers associated with a pair of chattering Black-capped Chickadees. First bird of the morning was a Canada Warbler

A pair of Ruby-throated Hummingbirds were foraging among the Jewelweed that lined the trail while the warblers were bouncing among the Wild Grape vines. They were difficult to see and even more difficult to photograph. 




Black-throated Green Warblers were a bit more cooperative:





I was also finally able to see some Northern Parula. Again, difficult to capture.


Several Blackburnian Warblers sporting very gray plumage had me thinking Black-throated Blue Warblers for a few moments.

A Philadelphia Vireo popped out of the vegetation and flew past me. My camera was too slow to get anything sharp. Cape May Warbler also proved too fast for me. 

A Yellow-bellied Flycatcher followed shortly after; at least I was able to get some pics.



When the birds moved out I headed to the north end of the trail and found a Veery posing in a small pocket in the vegetation.



Returning to the trails I spotted what I believed to be a Connecticut Warbler. It was olive-yellow in color w/ a gray hood and bright eye-ring. Tail was also short. Unfortunately, as soon as I raised the camera to photograph it about a dozen warblers exploded around it and I lost it among the birds and bushes. It is possible I was looking at one of many Nashville Warblers that were also moving through the underbrush.


Another Canada Warbler appeared but clear shots were hard to come by...


Finally, some keepers!



A Blue-headed Vireo was a nice find. Again, no clear shots through the brush.


A quick walk around the trails failed to refind the warbler flock so I headed back to the car and drove over to the Detroit River Hawk Watch. A nice 1 hour walk!

Elizabeth Park (Trenton), Wayne, Michigan, US
Sep 20, 2023 9:00 AM - 10:00 AM
Protocol: Traveling
1.0 mile(s)
Checklist Comments:     Center trails of park near maintenance yard
18 species

Canada Goose (Branta canadensis)  24
Ruby-throated Hummingbird (Archilochus colubris)  2
Yellow-bellied Flycatcher (Empidonax flaviventris)  1
Blue-headed Vireo (Vireo solitarius)  1
Philadelphia Vireo (Vireo philadelphicus)  1
Black-capped Chickadee (Poecile atricapillus)  2
Veery (Catharus fuscescens)  1
American Robin (Turdus migratorius)  1
House Sparrow (Passer domesticus)  2
Nashville Warbler (Leiothlypis ruficapilla)  3
Cape May Warbler (Setophaga tigrina)  1
Northern Parula (Setophaga americana)  3
Bay-breasted Warbler (Setophaga castanea)  1
Blackburnian Warbler (Setophaga fusca)  2
Blackpoll Warbler (Setophaga striata)  2
Black-throated Green Warbler (Setophaga virens)  2
Canada Warbler (Cardellina canadensis)  2     Photos taken of birds in two different locations on trail.
Northern Cardinal (Cardinalis cardinalis)  1

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S150371096

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)