Short-eared Owls - 03 Jan 2024


I drove down to Haggerman Rd. and the Antennae Farm to join a few others looking for the continuing Short-eared Owls that are roosting inside the fence surrounding the antennae field. Skies were overcast and a light drizzle was falling, and temperatures hovered near freezing. 

Cars were strung along the south side of Haggerman Rd. so I drove slowly and watched the fenceline for any owl activity. There was none, so I continued on to Port Sunlight Rd. before turning around and driving back west. I must've missed one bird, because as I parked on the north side of Haggerman approximately 100 yds east of the fenceline I spotted a Short-eared Owl cruising the ditch to the east of my position. 

It would perch on post where a couple of birders would have great views.

It then flew across the road to middle of the field where it would disappear from view several minutes later.

Meanwhile another pair of owls would pop out of the field inside the fence and fly around in the now-waning light of the afternoon before settling back down out of sight.




One individual popped up onto the fence for several minutes before disappearing, as well.


I would leave shortly after 5 pm and find myself in the middle a small snow-squall on I-75 as I drove north toward home. 

Antenna Farm, Monroe, Michigan, US

Jan 3, 2024 4:15 PM - 5:00 PM

Protocol: Stationary
Checklist Comments:     Cloudy, misty, cold, 30F; light winds
2 species (+1 other taxa)

Short-eared Owl (Asio flammeus)  3     Continuing; pair inside fence surrounding antennae farm and one along ditch east near US Turnpike and Haggerman Rd. Flying, foraging.
Horned Lark (Eremophila alpestris)  6
blackbird sp. (Icteridae sp.)  1500     Large murmuration after dark. Could not confirm if RWBB or EUST.

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S158076230

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)