Horned Grebe and Bufflehead - 01 Apr 2024

On the way home from the Refuge I stopped in Flat Rock to pick up peanuts from Masserant's. I decided to stop by the Meijer Pond at the corner of Vreeland and Telegraph to see if any ducks were still around. They were!

Six Ring-necked Ducks and a Bufflehead were swimming in the pond next to the CVS, and a Horned Grebe was with them. I parked behind the bushes in the CVS alley with the plan to belly crawl to the top of the small berm to try to photograph them at ground level. It didn't work.

When I got to the top of the berm the Ring-necked Ducks were at the far side of the pond and the Horned Grebe was nowhere to be seen. I fnally saw the grebe swimming in the corner of the pond near shore, so my plan was to run over when it dove and photograph it as it re-surfaced.

I sprinted over to the corner as planned, and managed a nice series at it surfaced and swam past me at close range.










It would remain in the middle of the pond for the remainder of my stay.




Once I caught my breath I headed back to the car and spent a few minutes watching the Bufflehead swimming back toward near shore. I decided to try the same tactic when it dove. I wasn't as lucky as with the grebe but got a few photos when it surfaced. After a few moments it, and several Canada Geese, disregared me and continued with their dabblings.


Meijer / CVS Ponds, Wayne, Michigan, US
Apr 1, 2024 10:20 AM - 10:35 AM
Protocol: Traveling
0.1 mile(s)
6 species

Canada Goose (Branta canadensis)  4
Mallard (Anas platyrhynchos)  4
Ring-necked Duck (Aythya collaris)  6
Bufflehead (Bucephala albeola)  1
Horned Grebe (Podiceps auritus)  1
Ring-billed Gull (Larus delawarensis)  1

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S166848231

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)