The CUSP Has Flown - 22 Jul 2026


Well, our mega-rare Curlew Sandpiper was seen by many until about 6 pm last evening. It was observed to fly off with several Killdeer and other peeps, but did not return for the rest of the evening. Nor this morning as of 5:30 am and beyond. I decided I'd take an afternoon ride to look for it with no other intention than to verify its absence.

I arrived at Mouillee Creek parking lot at 1 pm under mostly clear skies and mild temperatures. Prior to leaving the house I switched out the Swarovski STX 65 objective for the STX 85, made a compression washer to help secure it to the Arca Swiss plate and packed it up in my old (2002) Mountain Backpack. Today it would ride upside down in the backpack w/ the tripod feet extended and sticking out of the top of the pack. 

Riding out on the Middle Causeway I stopped by the Bad Creek Unit to check for any shorebirds in the now-disappearing mudflat south of the Pump House. The pond was now dry and only a small patch of open mud remained, but it hosted a half-dozen Lesser Yellowlegs and several Spotted Sandpipers. The mudflats across from the Pump House and eastward held another half-dozen Short-billed Dowitchers. Mudflats are also forming along the interior canal north of the Middle Causeway and into the Bloody Run Unit, so stay tuned.

As I continued on the Middle Causeway toward Cell 3 I heard the call notes of a Bobolink coming from the phragmites to my right and found a molting male Bobolink chirping away atop a stalk. 




I got off the bike and chased it a short distance before it continue flying to the west along the causeway. But I did manage a few more pics.


Amber Piotter reported that Cell 3 was mowed, and it was now easier to access the shorebird hotspot. Sure enough, a new barge was being pushed into the south end of Cell 4 and piping was being assembled nearby. A tractor was mowing the phragmites next to the dike along Cell 3 west (and also along Cell 3 east next to Lake Erie). Dredge pumping will begin shortly, but in the meantime I was able to find the entrance and make my way OVER the downed phrags and toward the cutout in the remaining vegetation to reach the water's edge. 

A flock of 30 American White Pelicans were roosting near the east shoreline but took off upon my arrival. Meanwhile, the shallow waters of Cell 3 hosted a good number of shorebirds: 6 Black-necked Stilts foraging along the shoreline while another 3 were flying overhead, 20 Stilt Sandpipers, a dozen Short-billed Dowitchers, another dozen Pectoral Sandpipers, and 70 Lesser Yellowlegs not to mention the dozens of Semipalmated Sandpipers and Least Sandpipers

I spent the time scoping and counting shorebirds, and the mid-afternoon lighting was not really conducive for photographing shorebirds at a distance, so I didn't bother. After verifying no Curlew Sandpiper and getting accurate shorebird counts I headed back to the bike. 

I rode south along the west side of Cells 3 and 2 down to Cell 1-2 and headed east to the Lake Erie shoreline. Riding back north I found no birds along the beach opposite Cell 3 but did see the mowing. Last year's entrance to Cell 3 was exposed and has me tempted to try to bushwhack a new trail to the east side of the pond. It is located at the very north end of the tree line inside the Cell. 

Cell 4 had 3 Lesser Scaup swimming and another 3 roosting on the island at the foot of Middle Causeway. 

As I rode north I began scanning the Vermet shoreline for shorebird life. Slowly more shorebirds are starting to appear but most were Killdeer with a few Spotted Sandpipers, Short-billed Dowitcher and Semipalmated Sandpipers beginning to appear. I spotted this Pectoral Sandpiper foraging along the mudflats, but its bill and legs were so black I was tempted to call it a Baird's Sandpiper. It was not until it stood erect and flew a short distance that I was able to verify it as a mud-covered Pec.



I slowly rode and scanned the east Vermet shoreline but failed to find any evidence of a Curlew Sandpiper. I then rode around Cell 5 back to the north end of Cell 4 looking for a Western Sandpiper reported last evening but dipped on that, as well. 

I'd head back to the car and sadly have to inform newcomers that the Curlew Sandpiper may have left for good. Their license plate indicated that may have driven in from Chicago. Ouch. Good luck, though!

The backpack and scope setup. worked very well, and may have a future in this manner. Shout-out to Will Weber for the inspiration, as he used this type of setup for many years at Pt. Mouilllee.

Pte. Mouillee SGA (permit required Sep 1-Dec 31), Monroe, Michigan, US
Jul 22, 2026 1:09 PM - 3:39 PM
Protocol: Traveling
10.324 mile(s)
Checklist Comments:     Pt cloudy, 75F, calm. Curlew Sandpiper not seen since last evening. Mowing in Cell 3 and prep for dredge pumping.
46 species

Mute Swan (Cygnus olor)  30
Wood Duck (Aix sponsa)  1
Mallard (Anas platyrhynchos)  45
Green-winged Teal (Anas crecca)  2
Lesser Scaup (Aythya affinis)  5
Mourning Dove (Zenaida macroura)  3
Virginia Rail (Rallus limicola)  1
Common Gallinule (Gallinula galeata)  1
Black-necked Stilt (Himantopus mexicanus)  11    Cell 3 had 9 birds and 2 more were seen in Vermet Unit.
Killdeer (Charadrius vociferus)  7
Semipalmated Plover (Charadrius semipalmatus)  2
Short-billed Dowitcher (Limnodromus griseus)  12
Spotted Sandpiper (Actitis macularius)  9
Lesser Yellowlegs (Tringa flavipes)  70
Greater Yellowlegs (Tringa melanoleuca)  2
Stilt Sandpiper (Calidris himantopus)  20     Cell 3
Least Sandpiper (Calidris minutilla)  12
Pectoral Sandpiper (Calidris melanotos)  12
Semipalmated Sandpiper (Calidris pusilla)  15
Ring-billed Gull (Larus delawarensis)  20
Caspian Tern (Hydroprogne caspia)  24
Forster's Tern (Sterna forsteri)  2
Double-crested Cormorant (Nannopterum auritum)  2
Great Egret (Ardea alba)  12
Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias)  5
Osprey (Pandion haliaetus)  1
Bald Eagle (Haliaeetus leucocephalus)  1
Northern Flicker (Colaptes auratus)  1
Willow Flycatcher (Empidonax traillii)  1
Eastern Kingbird (Tyrannus tyrannus)  2
Bank Swallow (Riparia riparia)  6
Tree Swallow (Tachycineta bicolor)  9
Barn Swallow (Hirundo rustica)  10
Marsh Wren (Cistothorus palustris)  2
European Starling (Sturnus vulgaris)  24
American Robin (Turdus migratorius)  2
American Goldfinch (Spinus tristis)  4
Song Sparrow (Melospiza melodia)  1
Swamp Sparrow (Melospiza georgiana)  2
Bobolink (Dolichonyx oryzivorus)  1
Red-winged Blackbird (Agelaius phoeniceus)  32
Brown-headed Cowbird (Molothrus ater)  2
Common Grackle (Quiscalus quiscula)  5
Common Yellowthroat (Geothlypis trichas)  1
Northern Yellow Warbler (Setophaga aestiva)  1
Indigo Bunting (Passerina cyanea)  2

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S375177801

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)

Comments