Mackinac Island State Park - 03 Aug 2026

I walked the grounds of Mission Point Resort this morning under clear skies and a mild 65ºF temperature. I hadn't been hearing any birds singing, and really not seeing many birds flying other than a few Chimney Swifts, Common Grackles or European Starlings.

I headed out to the Lake Huron shoreline and found flocks of Canada Geese and Mallard resting along the rocks. A Song Sparrow was singing nearby, and I'd see my first fall warbler in the form of an American Redstart

Common Grackles were roosting in the trees nearby,

American Crows were roosting in the cliffs and foraging through the gardens.


Young American Robin.


as were Mourning Doves




A Killdeer was squealing on the rocks next to shore.

I'd spot a Nashville Warbler but couldn't get any pics due to severe backlighting.

I continued along the road to Mackinac State Park and walked along the cedar-lined mountain to Arch Rock. 

A Black-and-White Warbler was singing but would not show.

I was hoping to do some rock hounding, but the island is basically limestone and breccia rock, so everything is just white and bleached. 

I spent time w/ the PictureThis App identifying island wildflowers and perennials planted in the gorgeous gardens here and downtown:

Shrubby Cinquefoil

Wild Geranium

Summer Squash

Tansy

Dwarf Fireweed

Herb Robert


Spotted Knapweed

Panicle Hydrangea

Panicle Hydrangea

Smoke Tree

Toadflax or Butter-and-Eggs

Wild Parsnip

Red-osier Dogwood

Gray-headed Coneflower

Musk Mallow

Crown Vetch

Morrow's Honeysuckle

Herb Robert

St Johnswort

We'd take a walk uphill and inland above the city and came across more plants of interest: 

Jewelweed


Panicle Hydrangea

Bigleaf Hydrangea

False Solomon's Seal

Common Foxglove

Western Poison Ivy

Wild Lettuce

Meadow Buttercup

Birds-foot Trefoil

Fairy Fan-flower

Smooth Hydrangea

I'd hear Red-breasted Nuthatch, Great-crested Flycatcher, Black-capped Chickadee and Red-eyed Vireo while walking through the wooded portions of the island.

We'd have lunch back at the Carriage House before walking back to Mission Point for a relaxing afternoon.

Mackinac Island State Park, Mackinac Island US-MI 45.85202, -84.60515, Mackinac, Michigan, US
Aug 3, 2026 8:13 AM - 9:59 AM
Protocol: Traveling
1.205 mile(s)
Checklist Comments:     Clear, calm, sunny, mild, 70F
26 species

Canada Goose (Branta canadensis)  12
Mallard (Anas platyrhynchos)  14
Mourning Dove (Zenaida macroura)  8
Killdeer (Charadrius vociferus)  1
Ring-billed Gull (Larus delawarensis)  4
Downy Woodpecker (Dryobates pubescens)  1
Great Crested Flycatcher (Myiarchus crinitus)  2
Red-eyed Vireo (Vireo olivaceus)  1
American Crow (Corvus brachyrhynchos)  2
Black-capped Chickadee (Poecile atricapillus)  2
Tree Swallow (Tachycineta bicolor)  2
Barn Swallow (Hirundo rustica)  2
Red-breasted Nuthatch (Sitta canadensis)  1
European Starling (Sturnus vulgaris)  16
American Robin (Turdus migratorius)  2
Cedar Waxwing (Bombycilla cedrorum)  2
House Sparrow (Passer domesticus)  4
American Goldfinch (Spinus tristis)  1
Song Sparrow (Melospiza melodia)  4
Red-winged Blackbird (Agelaius phoeniceus)  4
Common Grackle (Quiscalus quiscula)  6
Black-and-white Warbler (Mniotilta varia)  1
Nashville Warbler (Leiothlypis ruficapilla)  2
American Redstart (Setophaga ruticilla)  1
Northern Parula (Setophaga americana)  1
Yellow-rumped Warbler (Setophaga coronata)  2

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S379556221

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)

Comments