Red-necked Phalarope in Wayne Co. - 23 Aug 2026
Yesterday a pair of Red-necked Phalaropes were reported at the Wick Rd. retention ponds next to Detroit Metro Airport. Stilt Sandpipers and Short-billed Dowitchers had been reported, as well. By last evening though, storms had chased the Stilt Sandpipers but the phalaropes remained. This morning only the phalaropes were seen.
I headed out shortly before 8 am and drove to the Comfort Inn next to the retention ponds. Bobby Irwin was on his way out and let me know where to look for them. Sure enough, in the narrow canal connecting the small and large ponds were the pair of Red-necked Phalaropes swimming / floating next to the cattails along the far shore. Skies were clear but winds were picking up so I took as many photos as I could before losing them to degrading conditions.
Water levels were high in the ponds and I'm assuming that was why the STSP and SBDO did not stick around. As of now there was no shoreline to speak of.
One individual kept faux-calling, but I suspect it was trying to hack up a hair ball...
I continued walking around the pond to check out the other ponds but managed to only see a few Mallard and a pair of Wood Ducks. A Belted Kingfisher flew out from the small inlet pond while a Northern Flicker flew across my view.
When I returned to the phalarope spot both birds were gone. I scanned the shoreline and both ponds but could not find them. I hoped that they didn't leave the area since other birders had just arrived. Luckily, both birds were seen a bit later by everyone and would remain until mid-Afternoon.
Apparently, this is only the 3rd Wayne Co. record for Red-necked Phalarope, so I was glad to add a county lifer! #261.
Wick Rd. GLWA Pond, Wayne, Michigan, US
Aug 23, 2026 8:24 AM - 8:42 AM
Protocol: Traveling
0.204 mile(s)
Checklist Comments: Clear, breezy, WNW 10mph, water levels high in ponds. No exposed shoreline.
8 species
Wood Duck (Aix sponsa) 2
Mallard (Anas platyrhynchos) 3
Killdeer (Charadrius vociferus) 1
Red-necked Phalarope (Phalaropus lobatus) 2 Pair in thin connector between two ponds. White phalaropes w black patches over eyes. Continuing from yesterday. Did not see them after looping the large pond. Pics.
Lesser Yellowlegs (Tringa flavipes) 1
Ring-billed Gull (Larus delawarensis) 26
Northern Flicker (Colaptes auratus) 1
European Starling (Sturnus vulgaris) 30
View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S3 86125616
This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)
Aug 23, 2026 8:24 AM - 8:42 AM
Protocol: Traveling
0.204 mile(s)
Checklist Comments: Clear, breezy, WNW 10mph, water levels high in ponds. No exposed shoreline.
8 species
Wood Duck (Aix sponsa) 2
Mallard (Anas platyrhynchos) 3
Killdeer (Charadrius vociferus) 1
Red-necked Phalarope (Phalaropus lobatus) 2 Pair in thin connector between two ponds. White phalaropes w black patches over eyes. Continuing from yesterday. Did not see them after looping the large pond. Pics.
Lesser Yellowlegs (Tringa flavipes) 1
Ring-billed Gull (Larus delawarensis) 26
Northern Flicker (Colaptes auratus) 1
European Starling (Sturnus vulgaris) 30
View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S3
This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)















































Comments
Post a Comment
Please leave a comment. I will try to respond ASAP.