
This morning could only be described as a Bay-breasted Warbler Hatch. Upon arrival at Elizabeth Park at 8:30 am I ran into flock after flock of Bay-breasted Warblers. Little else.
Skies were clear, calm, and temp 64ºF with low humidity when I entered the center trail and walked east toward the Maintenance Yard. The first warblers in week appeared ahead of me in the trees about 20' up. Some were dropping low to the ground chasing insects. Within minutes I had eyes on a Bay-breasted Warbler. Then another. Then another.
Lighting was not great for photography but everything through the camera lens was coming up BBWA until I happened upon this Chestnut-sided Warbler.
When it disappeared I found more Bay-breasted Warblers.
Within minutes the flock had moved into the interior of the woods so I walked toward the north end of the woodlot to check out the oak trees. Nothing was moving but I glanced down to see the shimmering tops of these "Parasol" mushrooms (there are a number of similar-looking mushrooms, including American Parasol, but many with different genus names so I'm keeping it to Parasol Mushroom).
I headed back toward to the Maintenance Yard along the central trail and came upon another flock of Bay-breasted Warblers. This time they were high overhead and moving in the direction of the first flock. The adults are easily ID'd by their bold wing bars, pinkish flanks, and dark eyeline.
This suspected juvenile only shows the dark eyeline but has the wing bars and black feet (separates it from Blackpoll Warbler). Chest shows light streaking over a blush and undertail shows the white spots inside of dark outer tail feathers.
Adult female (I think).
Eastern Wood-Pewees made an appearance high in the canopy.
Followed by a Trail's Flycatcher (Willow or Alder Flycatcher).
I made a loop around the Maintenance Yard and found still more along the south end of the woodlot.
This bird provided a precautionary tail in Bird ID. I photographed it and immediately thought that I had a Pine Warbler based on the overall yellow coloration, white eye-ring and "apparent" wing bars. Feet also appeared to be orange.
However, when it moved more into the open I noticed a lack of wing bars so I guessed either Tennessee or Orange-crowned Warbler. The underside and undertail appeared yellow so I began to lean toward Orange-crowned Warbler.
It wasn't until the bird moved into the shadows that I could see that the feet were indeed black (orange due to backlighting and translucency) and the undertail was more white than yellow. The thin sharp bill makes this an immature Tennessee Warbler.
Across from the peacock enclosure I found a pair of Bay-breasted Warblers that foraged at eye-level under great light conditions.
When they left I headed back toward the car and decided last moment to hike through the dry creek bed connecting the central trails. Another flock of Bay-breasted Warblers appeared in the understory and provided a few more photos.
I had errands to run so I made a short trip. I spotted a pair of Ovenbirds at eye-level in the trees ahead of me but couldn't get the camera to focus on them.
It was great to see warblers again. Overnight reports of millions of birds moving through the Great Lakes was making me believe that they were all flying over Michigan and continuing into central Ohio where reports were coming in of good warbler activity.
Elizabeth Park (Trenton), Wayne, Michigan, US
Sep 11, 2026 8:26 AM - 9:46 AM
Protocol: Traveling
0.697 mile(s)
Checklist Comments: Clear, calm, low humidity. 64F
18 species (+1 other taxa)
Canada Goose (Branta canadensis) 80
Red-bellied Woodpecker (Melanerpes carolinus) 1
Downy Woodpecker (Dryobates pubescens) 1
Northern Flicker (Colaptes auratus) 1
Eastern Wood-Pewee (Contopus virens) 1
Alder/Willow Flycatcher (Traill's Flycatcher) (Empidonax alnorum/traillii) 2
Black-capped Chickadee (Poecile atricapillus) 1
White-breasted Nuthatch (Sitta carolinensis) 1
Carolina Wren (Thryothorus ludovicianus) 1
Swainson's Thrush (Catharus ustulatus) 1
American Robin (Turdus migratorius) 1
Cedar Waxwing (Bombycilla cedrorum) 1
Red-winged Blackbird (Agelaius phoeniceus) 15
Ovenbird (Seiurus aurocapilla) 2
Tennessee Warbler (Leiothlypis peregrina) 1 immature. Initially thought Pine Warbler due to overall yellow color and strong eye-ring and hint of wingbar showing from behind branch. When it moved I saw no wingbar, but backlighting and surrounding vegetation gave it the appearance of an Orange-crowned Warbler. It was only after moving into shade that I saw the contrasting yellow belly and whiter undertail coverts. Note also that when backlit the black legs appeared orange in the feet area.
American Redstart (Setophaga ruticilla) 1
Bay-breasted Warbler (Setophaga castanea) 22 Big hatch this morning w several large flocks of 8-10 birds at a time. Pics. Strong wingbars, dark feet, olive backs.
Chestnut-sided Warbler (Setophaga pensylvanica) 2
Northern Cardinal (Cardinalis cardinalis) 1
View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S391797661
This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)
Comments
Post a Comment
Please leave a comment. I will try to respond ASAP.