Some New Fall Birds and Challenging ID's - 29 Sep 2026
Today brought new birds to the fall list. My walk at Elizabeth Park not only brought the birds, but also challenging ID’s.
I entered the woods near the Maintenance Yard shortly after 8:30 am. A large hawk flew away from me down the trail and landed 60 yds away. Merlin picked up Red-shouldered Hawk, and my gut feeling was this was the bird in question. However, this hawk lacked markings associated with Red-shouldered Hawks and may have a slight belly band that is more indicative of a Red-tailed Hawk. I’m leaving it unidentified. I did hear two loud Red-shouldered Hawks in the woods but only saw them flying away; one could have been this bird.
The trees were quiet this morning. No warblers to speak of except for a single Bay-breasted Warbler high in the canopy. I did pick up White-throated Sparrow and Golden-crowned Kinglet, and later see a distant Brown Creeper. I’d then stumble upon a Tufted Titmouse, but that was the end of potential photo opps.
Near the maintenance yard I heard the loud “KIP” “KIP” “KIP” of a Hairy Woodpecker, and managed to get the camera on it as it pecked at the top of a snag 50’ up.
Near the main road a Cooper’s Hawk flew across the oak-covered lawn and landed 100’ away. From my distance it appeared to be small like a Sharp-shinned Hawk, but photos indicate that it is a Cooper’s Hawk, perhaps a male? Dark cap and thick white terminal tail band helped ID.
My loop around the south end of the woodlot generated nothing, so I made one last walk past the maintenance yard and back down the center trail toward the car. As I was on my way out a single warbler popped into view. Being yellowis/gray w/ and eye-ring and eyeline I thought perhaps it was an Orange-crowned Warbler (as it had no wing bars and appeared to have a yellow undertail). It would turn out to be a female Black-throated Blue Warbler (note the strong lower eye-arc and upper eye stripe). At ISO 64,000 I had to wait until I was home to Denoise and verify ID.
With another day of heavy yard work I did not stick around. I'm off to Lowes to buy more dirt and mulch...
Elizabeth Park (Trenton), Wayne, Michigan, US
Sep 29, 2026 8:33 AM - 9:06 AM
Protocol: Traveling
0.698 mile(s)
Checklist Comments: Clear, calm, 55F
14 species
Canada Goose (Branta canadensis) 80
Ring-billed Gull (Larus delawarensis) 1
Cooper's Hawk (Astur cooperii) 1
Red-bellied Woodpecker (Melanerpes carolinus) 1
Downy Woodpecker (Dryobates pubescens) 1
Hairy Woodpecker (Leuconotopicus villosus) 1
Northern Flicker (Colaptes auratus) 1
Blue Jay (Cyanocitta cristata) 46
Tufted Titmouse (Baeolophus bicolor) 1
White-breasted Nuthatch (Sitta carolinensis) 2
Brown Creeper (Certhia americana) 1
White-throated Sparrow (Zonotrichia albicollis) 1
Bay-breasted Warbler (Setophaga castanea) 1
Northern Cardinal (Cardinalis cardinalis) 1
View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S3 97448327
This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)
Sep 29, 2026 8:33 AM - 9:06 AM
Protocol: Traveling
0.698 mile(s)
Checklist Comments: Clear, calm, 55F
14 species
Canada Goose (Branta canadensis) 80
Ring-billed Gull (Larus delawarensis) 1
Cooper's Hawk (Astur cooperii) 1
Red-bellied Woodpecker (Melanerpes carolinus) 1
Downy Woodpecker (Dryobates pubescens) 1
Hairy Woodpecker (Leuconotopicus villosus) 1
Northern Flicker (Colaptes auratus) 1
Blue Jay (Cyanocitta cristata) 46
Tufted Titmouse (Baeolophus bicolor) 1
White-breasted Nuthatch (Sitta carolinensis) 2
Brown Creeper (Certhia americana) 1
White-throated Sparrow (Zonotrichia albicollis) 1
Bay-breasted Warbler (Setophaga castanea) 1
Northern Cardinal (Cardinalis cardinalis) 1
View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S3
This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)





















Comments
Post a Comment
Please leave a comment. I will try to respond ASAP.