Return of the King(lets) - 04 Oct 2026
Elizabeth Park was slow. I did manage to see this FOS Hermit Thrush fly into view just as Merlin ID'd one based on call. ISO 64,000 meant low light...
I did not linger. Warblers were absent so I decided to run down to the Detroit River International Wildlife Refuge.
Elizabeth Park (Trenton), Wayne, Michigan, US
Oct 4, 2026 8:33 AM - 8:50 AM
Protocol: Traveling
0.469 mile(s)
Checklist Comments: Pt clear, cool, 48F, sprinkling.
6 species
Canada Goose (Branta canadensis) 70
Mallard (Anas platyrhynchos) 1
Great Egret (Ardea alba) 1
Blue Jay (Cyanocitta cristata) 13
Hermit Thrush (Catharus guttatus) 1
American Robin (Turdus migratorius) 1
View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S3 99052336
Oct 4, 2026 8:33 AM - 8:50 AM
Protocol: Traveling
0.469 mile(s)
Checklist Comments: Pt clear, cool, 48F, sprinkling.
6 species
Canada Goose (Branta canadensis) 70
Mallard (Anas platyrhynchos) 1
Great Egret (Ardea alba) 1
Blue Jay (Cyanocitta cristata) 13
Hermit Thrush (Catharus guttatus) 1
American Robin (Turdus migratorius) 1
View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S3
This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)
While driving into the refuge Merlin picked up American Pipit. I didn't hear it, and questioned its authenticity. I did not pick it up, again.
Parking at the Visitor Center I walked into the short loop trail. A flock of Yellow-rumped Warblers were foraging high in the canopy but too far for photos.
The boardwalk area was quiet except for a pair of Swamp Sparrows chipping away in the phragmites lining the Monguagon Delta, I scanned the mudflats for possible American Pipits but came up empty.
Returning to the west trail I ran into a sizable flock of Yellow-rumped Warblers that were a challenge to photograph given the low light and constant movement.
A pair of Brown Creepers popped into view but were equally difficult to photograph.
As I continued on I spotted my FOS Golden-crowned Kinglets. Wow, I wish they'd slow down...
This one enjoyed playing w/ this particular branch.
White-breasted Nuthatch.
Near the drain a flock of White-throated Sparrows moved quickly through the brush.
A juvenile.
A surprise Blackpoll Warbler popped into view!
As did this Ovenbird that perched for almost a minute behind a clump of branches that made it impossible for the camera to penetrate (100 out-of-focus bird pics and 100 sharp branches).
Detroit River IWR--Refuge Gateway (Humbug Marsh), Wayne, Michigan, US
Oct 4, 2026 9:01 AM - 9:50 AM
Protocol: Traveling
0.833 mile(s)
Checklist Comments: Pt cloudy, 51F, calm
19 species
Mallard (Anas platyrhynchos) 6
Ring-billed Gull (Larus delawarensis) 2
Great Egret (Ardea alba) 1
Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias) 1
Belted Kingfisher (Megaceryle alcyon) 1
Red-bellied Woodpecker (Melanerpes carolinus) 1
Downy Woodpecker (Dryobates pubescens) 1
Northern Flicker (Colaptes auratus) 2
Blue Jay (Cyanocitta cristata) 24
Golden-crowned Kinglet (Regulus satrapa) 2
White-breasted Nuthatch (Sitta carolinensis) 1
Brown Creeper (Certhia americana) 2
White-throated Sparrow (Zonotrichia albicollis) 4
Swamp Sparrow (Melospiza georgiana) 2
Red-winged Blackbird (Agelaius phoeniceus) 2
Common Grackle (Quiscalus quiscula) 2
Ovenbird (Seiurus aurocapilla) 1
Blackpoll Warbler (Setophaga striata) 1
Yellow-rumped Warbler (Setophaga coronata) 20
View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S3
This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)







































Comments
Post a Comment
Please leave a comment. I will try to respond ASAP.