Thank you, Trains - 18 Jan 2024


It was actually a Discord post that got me out the door this afternoon. It was cold (10F) and a light snow was falling so I was happy to work on eBird reports. But, a report of Lapland Longspurs and Snow Buntings at the Detroit River International Wildlife Refuge prompted me to grab the camera and head out the door at just after 3 pm. The plan was to visit the refuge, then drive south to Haggerman Rd. to see if any owls were about.

My normal route down Vreeland Rd. was interrupted by a stopped train, however. Also at Gibralter Rd. so I continued south to Huron River Drive. When I arrived there the train was moving, so I waited for it to pass. This delay put me next to Haggerman Rd. so I opted to drive by the Antennae Farm first to see how bad the road was and see if any Short-eared Owls were showing this early in the afternoon.

Haggerman Rd. east of Labo Rd. was snow-covered but driveable. Just west of Labo a Gray Ghost (Northern Harrier) flushed from the ditch to my left but I was too slow to stop and grab the camera.

Only one car was visible on Haggerman Rd. east of Labo Rd. so I drove past the Antennae Farm. Immediately I was able to see two large silhouettes perched on the fence up ahead. Short-eared Owls!

I was able to drive by the first bird without flushing it, so I turned off the car and photographed it from the road (inside the car). The Sony a1 (50 Mp) and 600 mm f/4 GM OSS lens gave me plenty of magnification to get sharp images w/o having to leave the car. 









I suspected that this bird might be a female as it appeared buffier / browner than the second bird just up the road. This second bird appeared whiter / paler than the first and may be a male. Sexing is difficult so I'm guessing.






As the two owls remained perched atop the fence a third Short-eared Owl appeared flying on the other side of the fence. As many as 6 owls were visible this afternoon, so I arrived at the perfect time.




One owl was flying on the south side of Haggerman Rd. while two more were flying in the field east of the fenced-in Antennae Farm. I would get out of the car and use it to stabilize my lens in the cold and snow. 



With all six owls now flying I was content to stand next to the car and photograph them as they foraged on the other side of the fence, along the road, and out in the field. Tight crops were required for most of the images as the birds were quite a distance from me.










































After 20 minutes or so things quieted down and I was ready to move on. I slowed to a stop when I spotted one owl perched about 30 yds east of the other photographers. They were a good distance from the bird so I waited until it took off before driving by.


I drove past and waved to them and then continued east past the fence line. I stopped when I spotted an owl in the field to my left. I was content to watch it from the car when a second owl appeared and the two lifted off together and continued to forage nearby.


































One Short-eared Owl pounced and appeared to capture a meadow vole. It was immediately harassed by the second bird hoping to steal the meal. 















Both birds would take off to the north when a sub-adult Bald Eagle appeared and went after them. 


I took the opportunity to continue to US Turnpike and head toward home. I'd stop at the refuge just long enough to drive through the place and see only American Tree Sparrows. With skies dark and snow falling it was time to call it a (great) day. Thank you, Trains for directing me to a special opportunity to photograph my favorite owls!

Antenna Farm, Monroe, Michigan, US
Jan 18, 2024 3:30 PM - 4:10 PM
Protocol: Traveling
1.0 mile(s)
Checklist Comments:     Cold, snowing, 18F
3 species

Northern Harrier (Circus hudsonius)  1
Bald Eagle (Haliaeetus leucocephalus)  1
Short-eared Owl (Asio flammeus)  6     Exact count. Two on fence, four in flight; one inside fence and three in fields east of fence line. Continuing for weeks now. Photos at: https://birdingthroughglass.blogspot.com/2024/01/thank-you-trains-18-jan-2023.html

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S159484662

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)